Saturday, May 19, 2018

Blog is Changing

I cannot find out why this will not allow me to add days or photos.  The best I can do is write what I can at one sitting and post.  Maybe that will be an improvement on my ramblings!  So here is the past week in a nutshell.

I hosted Shanghai for Couples Saturday night, elected to stay home Mother's Day and avoid the crowded restaurants, and hosted Ladies Canasta on Monday.  Though I lost lots of dimes Saturday, I took second place on Monday!

Tuesday I worked at the thrift shop and did my pre-op at the hospital afterwards.

Wednesday Ted had his endoscopy and it went well.  A few biopsies were taken but Dr. W thinks all is okay.  We will get results next week.

Thursday was the Forum Installation Luncheon, always a fun time. That was followed by four loads of laundry when I returned home.

Friday was a nightmare.  I was up at 5 am to take my third shower in 24 hours with special soap the hospital gave me.  We arrived at 6:45 and got totally prepped for my 9 am surgery.  At 12:30, when no one had been able to reach my surgeon, i told them I was going home.  By the time I dressed they said he was just finishing up an emergency at the other hospital but now the cath labs had two pacemaker cases being done so the labs were no longer available to him.  I called their office on our way home and told them what I had done and why.  They asked me to go back and they would guarantee I would be next in whichever lab finished first.  I can deal with emergencies (my 8:00 gall bladder surgery happened at 2:30 because of an emergency but they kept me informed of the progress) but when no one can locate your doctor for 6 hours it is a different story. 

I had been discharged so I had to be readmitted, start a new IV (that had blood on the floor, the nurse, my bed and all over my arm) and then wait some more.

I was not put out and I didn't know if I would suffocate or have a broken neck or back by the time they  shoved the tubes down my neck to my groin. I developed a huge hematoma at the insertion site that they marked in purple.  By the time I got to post-op they had to put new markings because it was getting bigger.  It hurt to move anything.  I was finally released at 5 pm.  Ted got me home and settled on the couch, put ice on the hematoma, gave me a Tylenol 3 and made me a shake.  

I slept on the couch because it has a gently sloped arm which worked better than a pillow.  I had one more pill before going to sleep.  I woke myself a couple times when I turned my head which hurt my neck but overall it was not a bad night.  I am still sore and can't turn my head but I feel better than yesterday!








No comments: