Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Getting Behind

Ted went shooting Sunday and I awaited Tucker's arrival.  Besides finishing up the unpacking and laundry, nothing much else got done.  Ted made a pot of chili for dinner that tasted real good with the cooler weather.

Monday I met Gail for lunch to go over the plans for our Vote!! Party for Regent Care.  This is a questionable theme for a nursing home party but we had so many red, white and blues supplies that this was the only time we could use them.  We don't meet in the patriotic months!  Buying more fall stuff just adds to expenses and storage.  And it is sad to say that most residents are only interested in the music, sugar free cookies and lemonade, not the decorations.  They are not real concerned with our color scheme.  

REACH is a disabled adult center that Forum services but because of the distance, I had never worked there.  But I am so far behind in hours with my limited availability between traveling, doctor appointments and tests that I decided to bite the bullet.  It took me an hour to drive each way Tuesday.

A LOT of work went into the preparations to carry this party off.  My hats off to Beth who chairs it.  My job was playing tic tac toe with many who "three in a row" meant nothing.  I had to throw games and finally gave them 5 felt cats to my 3 felt ghosts to give them a big advantage.  We saw all degrees of disabilities and God bless those who work there each day.  I was hugged tightly by a Down's Syndrome policegirl and other than being told repeatedly that "No one's afraid of you, Michael" and being pointed out that "I am taking you to lunch" I had no difficulties.  I did go to lunch, but with 7 of my Forum friends,

Ring Toss and Tic Tac Toe.  Heddi had folks simply put the ring on the bottle.


Ping Pong Ball Toss.  Dropping more than tossing.


Bowling with Pumpkins, knocking down rolls of TP!  Mobile clients had a lot of fun with this.  Also there was Hula Hoop Toss over pumpkins, corn hole, etc.  Something for everyone.


Everyone had a great time and a bag of goodies to take back inside.  

I had a headache when I got home but we decided to go to the vigil Mass for All Saints Day anyway.  Ted had beef stew in the crockpot for dinner but my headache kept me from eating.  It poured rain and I think Halloween was ruined for many little ones.  I went to bed very early.  

I stayed home Wednesday and didn't do much of anything.  I got the boxes together for Regent Care and printed out the paperwork I needed to get filled out.  After Survivor I got a shower since I had to leave early in the morning.  Then I watched the Astros win the World Series!  Yeah!

Gail was already at the nursing home when I arrived about 8:45 on Thursday but the lady who had the key to the Activity Room didn't come to work until 9:15!  We had to put tablecloths on 15 tables, set out decorations on them, blow up 45 balloons and tie ribbons to them, make 3 gallons of lemonade and fill 8 trays with sugar free cookies.  It was 9:30 when the other 8 ladies arrived and they all pitched in.  In the meantime Gail had to get the couple being our entertainment all set up and paid.  We had 46 residents attend and it turned out really great.  They so enjoy the live music!  We are not allowed to show the residents faces so the best I can do is take their backs.  



Gail treated me to lunch afterwards and we discussed our plans for December and February.  We had 5 boxes of "stuff" so I told Gail I would take it home and see what I could do with it all.  I put all the red/white/blue stuff in two boxes and marked it OK To Use.  It will go to the office tomorrow in the storage unit.  Then I put green/red/white tablecloths, napkins, balloons and ribbons in one spot for Christmas, the rest of the red/white stuff together for Valentine's Day and some pastels to use in April.  Now we have only 2 boxes to carry and the red/white/blue stuff can be used by others.  All we need to do now is come up with table decorations.  

On my way home I stopped and voted since Ted did it Wednesday.  After thinking I had mastered my computer training I was faced with two changes - a no show and a sub I was unaware of.  Adding and subtracting should be easy but I inadvertantly removed the wrong person as the no show and then had to undo that and delete the correct lady.  Nothing like making my job harder on myself!  An email to Renee at the office fixed up my records.  She is so patient!

Ted worked half a day on Friday at the gun club for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes charity shoot.  He is scheduled to work the Texas Collegiate Sporting Clay Championships on Saturday.  That will be a long day for him.

Gerre and Barry stopped on the way from the airport to pick up Tucker.  They had a good time in Cabo San Lucas and said it is certainly growing.  We are invited to their house Sunday for the Texan game that all their neighbor's attend.  We have people coming to play cards here tomorrow.

Enough for now!














No comments: