Tuesday, November 28, 2017

A Little Break

Sunday Kristin and I went shopping but I was dressed in a sweatshirt and she in a sweater and we eventually were too warm and also hungry so we came home before we finished.  She continued wrapping the gifts that need to stay here for Christmas.  We have a Christmas chair instead of a tree!  There are many behind the chair to conserve space.  By the time the other nine folks arrive for Christmas, you won't be able to get near it.


Ted had gone shooting and I made dinner using one of my frozen meatloafs and leftover mashed potatoes turned into potato pancakes along with a salad.   It was a good day of not doing much.  

Our sprinkler guy came Monday early and found a cracked one inch pipe in our system and fixed it.  Then we drove to Brenham to have lunch with old friends, Gus and Melissa, in Texas visiting their son in Austin.  After we left them we stopped by Blue Bell to see their Christmas schedule and availed ourselves of their $1 generous dishes of ice cream.  Rocky Road for me and Cherry Vanilla for Ted.  Here is their tree but it was too big for a full picture and still be able to see the ice cream container decorations.


Kristin had accomplished what she stayed behind to do and was packed and ready to go.  Both bedrooms had clean linens thanks to the girls and the floor vacuumed.  We drove Kristin to the airport and almost immediately she texted she was through security and heading to her gate.  Much later she texted she had landed.  It was a nice Thanksgiving with Kara, Bill and Kristin here.

Tuesday I putzed around getting things back where they belong, laundered our bed linens and did a bit of paperwork for my bunco group and Regent Care Nursing Home Christmas parties.  I can't believe how quickly November is passing!  Late afternoon I dressed for our Forum Christmas dinner - in November! - and was picked up by my friend Donna.  There were 110 in attendance and was an enjoyable event.  I wore black pantyhose under a black and silver dress, a first in a very long time for both items.

Wednesday I spent a good part of the day Messaging with Kristin.  We are trying to rent a 7 bedroom, 7 bathroom house in Kona, Hawaii for next Christmas.  It took a lot of looking and reading to zero in on the one that would work for us.  There are 5 couples plus 3 single girls and 1 boy.  Makes for a lot of detective work on sleeping arrangements.  We have a message in to the one we want and now we wait - again!  This sounds far out in time but half of the ones we considered were found to already be rented.  

But my waiting is over in setting up my GYN surgery.  Everybody is on board so I am scheduled at noon on 12/12.  It will be out patient with just a two day recovery.  Now as long as they don't find anything in what they remove, I can move on from that.  It will then turn to the question of removing the vena cava filter.  The Dopplar being done on the DVT in my left leg on 12/4 will hopefully give us the info we need.

Thursday we continued pursuing our Hawaii house but responses are slow in coming.  I found an awesome one at a bit higher price but we can make it work so again we are waiting.  My first thing to check is the cancellation policy.  Some want half the rent now with no refunds.  And we are talking thousands of dollars.  I am not going there!  I already lost two plane tickets to Vancouver this year because of my medical issue so I am watching this carefully.  

I did the ironing, just about six pieces, and made a turkey pot pie for dinner so it was Adios! to our Thanksgiving turkey.  We really made good use of the leftovers and the only thing left was gravy.  The Hallmark Christmas movies continue.

Friday was our community theater night and we saw the longest presentation of Little Women ever!  Everyone looked somewhat dazed at Intermission!  It was after 11 when we got home but we enjoyed our dinner with Gene, Jennifer, Gerre and Barry and the play, for the most part.

Saturday we did absolutely nothing all day except Kristin and I continued our Hawaii search and Ted watched sports.  We finally gave up on a house.  The few we found with acceptable sleeping arrangements were unavailable - already!  The one I really wanted, advertised as sleeping 14, didn't mention 2 of them had to be children under 5!  I wrote that our two youngest will be 14 and 16 and her answer was a simple NO!  Others had 10-14 day minimum rentals over Christmas.  

We eventually tuned our eye to a lovely townhouse complex. The availability in the townhouses is limited already.  There are lettered buildings and numbered units.  I can only get one unit in each of three buildings next to each other.  But they are beautiful with King, queen and twin beds in the 3 bedrooms, tile and granite in the 3 baths, granite counters and stainless steel in the kitchen as well as a washer and dryer.  Kristin, Larry and Maureen will be with us.  Kara and Kelly will have their families with them in the other two units! 5-5-4.  Woo!  That took some doing.

We went to church then out to eat with Terry and Carol.  Next week is a lot of doctor appointments!  Wish me luck.  It would be nice to wrap up this incident and move forward.  










No comments: