Monday, August 14, 2017

Starting To Feel Close To Normal Again

First up I have to share a heartwarming gift I received.  Remember the photo of all the handprints from the reunion that I missed?


Well here is what my brother Dan's wife Sue did with it and gave to me.


What a blessing to receive it.  It is priceless!

Monday our project was to buy a new dishwasher.  Our first stop was at Sears Appliances.  When I said I wanted to buy a dishwasher the fellow asked me which one!  No mention of features, better versus best, etc.  We moved on to Home Depot.  A young lady was more helpful but didn't know as much as she needs to.  Next stop Lowe's.  We waited for several minutes in the middle of the aisle in front of the dishwasher display.  A man was talking to an associate at the cash register and a lady was sitting with a lady going over some plans.  Ted went to the restroom and finally, just as he was returning, the associate interrupted the man he was talking to and asked me if I needed help.  No, I just stand around stores for the fun of it.  When I said yes he started toward me and the man stopped him saying he wanted to buy that dishwasher so back he went.  The lady associate just disappeared without saying a word.  Finally a man came who obviously didn't work in appliances but he was helpful.  He had to keep going back to get answers to our questions.  It took 30 minutes to get the paperwork printed - and we were in the computer already.  The icing on the cake was at checkout where the lady rang up installation and said our bill was $134.  We said no we bought a dishwasher too and the man said it would pop up when she scanned the bar code.  She flipped through it and didn't seem to know what to do and then finally she hit something and there it was.  Talk about poorly trained employees!  I had my fill today.

We ended up going to Mass in the evening.  We had planned Tuesday morning but my dr appt was 1:00, not 11:00 so we switched.  We had some much needed rain but it didn't rain long.

We spent much of Tuesday morning communicating, but not with each other. I was giving my brother the run down on Nashville Shores, the pros and the cons and answered his questions.  Ted was negotiating the purchase of a new gun.  I think it is a shotgun for his renewed interest in Sporting Clays.  

We finally had to leave for the pain doctor.  He was upset to learn of my recent episode and said the ball is in the cardiologist's court.  We talked about the use of Tylenol and Tramadol to keep me moving. I know I am at less than half of the daily limit of Tylenol and I have only used Tramadol three times since I saw him last.  He suggested half of each to see if that would keep me going an entire day.  Thursday when I work at the Thrift Shop will be a good day to try that out.

We stopped for a late lunch at a Houston institution that just opened a place here close to home.  Goode Co. BBQ.  We have eaten there in Houston once a long time ago.  The food is good but rather expensive I think.  We will try it a couple more times.  It's not like there isn't another BBQ place on every corner that doesn't have a Mexican restaurant on it!

Wednesday was Mahjongg day and we joined the established group but I played with three other less seasoned players.  We play much slower than the others but we did get 6 games done in 3 hours versus the 10-12 games good players can accomplish.   I won TWO games, Deborah one, Jane one and two Wall games.  I think next week we meet here and after that we will all play together two Wednesday's a month.  Hope I can keep up!

Thursday morning I took a 650 mg Tylenol with my morning pills hoping it would allow me to be on my feet until at least noon.  Everyone at the thrift shop was so glad to see me but they wanted to treat me like an invalid.  I managed my two hours just fine.  When I came home I boiled eggs for a funeral on Friday.  When I peeled them and made the filling my back started hurting but I didn't have much else to do so I just put up with it until I finished and cleaned the kitchen.  Then I sat down.  I was glad I accomplished as much as I did with minimal medicine.

I was up early Friday.  I needed to fill the egg whites and put them in the plastic deviled egg dish that has a cover.  When I work at a funeral I save these when people buy deviled eggs at the store.  However, I always make mine.  The store ones just don't taste like anything to me.  Ted said he would take them along with two packs of water to church for me.

I was out the door at 7:45 for the 45 minute drive to the Forum sign up.  I had four months of slots to fill.  We need 4 more for December but that's it.  We are good through February and then only have April to fill and that will get done in January.

Photo from the second floor.


Gail tending our sheets while I went off to do my own sign ups.


The meeting following was long!  I learned we spent $42,000 on social programs, gave $10,000 to a community emergency help center and 45 $1,000 scholarships to area senior girls.  Our mission is to assist.  I think we are doing a great job!

However, 2+ hours on that hard chair did my back in.  I had to lie down when I got home.  Once it felt better, Ted and I went to the grocery but by checkout I needed to sit down while he finished up.  This arthritic disc is literally getting on my nerves!  The pain can go away as quickly as it comes.  I hope I can find the magic combination of PT exercises, medicine and some don'ts like carrying heavy things or squatting to pick something up.  I immediately can feel a squashing sensation in my lower back ... and then the pain begins in earnest.  Oh happy days!








No comments: