Sunday, August 20, 2017

Boy Is It Hot!

Every time we go outside we are reminded of why we are usually not here in August, or for that matter, most of the summer.  It was 97 at 8 pm last night.

Wise woman that I am I stayed in all day but Ted went to the gun club where they were having an open house of sorts.  He is trying to sell three shotguns to help finance his newest purchase that should arrive on Monday.  I guess trap and skeet shotguns don't hack it for sporting clays!!  This is my brother Dan's fault.  He switched and now has four couples going to Nationals in San Antonio in October.  We have gone for Ted to shoot skeet but this will be a new contest for him.  This is the belt buckle he won several years ago along with his 100 Straight pin.


I am really looking forward to their visit here the week before and then our stay at a 3 cabin resort in New Braunfels.  It sleeps 12 in all so we have plenty of room for 8 - Compliments of a business associate of Dan's!  I hope my back allows me to show the ladies a good time.  There is so much to do in the hill country.

We went to church and then out to dinner with Terry and Carol.  We took them to the newest Mexican restaurant we found since our old favorite changed hands.  They were busy and we had to wait a bit for a table but once seated the service was really good.  Ted had fajitas, I had gorditas, Carol a burrito and Terry enchiladas.  We all were very pleased with the food.  I think they will go back.  

Sunday Ted went early to shoot and I just stayed in.  It is too hot to do anything outside.  He asked me if I wanted to go anywhere when he came home but I declined.  He didn't argue!

Monday Isabelle called to say she would come at 4:00.  I know that makes me third for the day and they are all tired.  So I cleaned the office, sitting room, dining room and 2 guest bedrooms.  It was good for me and will get them on their way sooner.  Then I went to pick up my two plants from Judy.  The bromilaid isn't looking too good but there is a pup started so that may be what we will have to work with. The anthurium looked fine but dry so I gave it 5 ice cubes which is what the directions say.  They are going to Gerre's on Friday for about six weeks.  She has the greenest thumb so I am anxious to see how they are in October.  

Ted left before lunch for the gun club because his new gun was to be delivered by the end of the day.  I reminded him of our TVs 9 end of day arrival that turned into 9 pm.  After I picked up the plants, I stopped at the bank and came home to wait for Isabell who arrived at 5:00.  They were in and out pretty quickly but Ted didn't arrive home until after they left and it was late before we had dinner.  He loves his new gun!

Tuesday was a really quiet day.  In fact, we didn't do anything.  We found we have sod web worms.  I thought it was just the tremendous heat and upped the watering but the fertilizer guy showed me blades of grass chewed up and down the sides.  Plus there were little moths flying out of the grass when he walked through it.  All my beautiful sod is thinning out and turning brown.  He put down some sod web worm killer so here's hoping it comes back.  Our growing season will continue for 2-3 more months so we can hope.

Thursday was blood work and Mahjongg.  I drove to the lab by myself and they took 11 vials of blood. I think that is how many tests are scheduled.  We will see the doctor next Wednesday.  This will help determine if there is something in my blood that has affected the clotting factor.  

Ted brought the two sets of card tables and chairs in for me from the garage for my Mahjongg group.   I stopped at the store for a few items before the ladies came.  You need so little in food and drinks for this group.  I was a tile away twice and that was as close as I got all day to a Mahjongg.

I did laundry on Thursday while Ted went to the store and gathered our hurricane supplies.  If we lose power we will try to leave and head north to a campground that has it.  This is what we did last time with Ike.  No A/C or C- Pap for Ted makes life miserable!

Check back again to see how we rode out the storm.  Biggest thing is flooding.  A normal rain causes Houston to flood.  This could be very devastating for the area.




1 comment:

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.