Monday, April 18, 2016

Fun, Sadness, More Air Flights

Thursday we went to the Morse museum and saw exquisite Tiffany items - lamps, vases, windows, the Chapel, Daffodil Hall, etc.  Unfortunately, photos were only allowed in Daffodil Hall where there is lots of natural light.  Here is a plagiarized description.  

The  Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park, FL, contains the most comprehensive collection of the works by Louis Comfort Tiffany including his heralded lamps, signature leaded-glass windows and mosaic masterpieces. Also included is the chapel he designed for the 1893 world's fair in Chicago.

The Altar

The Baptismal Font in front of Field of Lilies window.

The three dimension cross chandelier.

The Dining Room at Laurelton Hall

Close up of window


Daffodil Hall was added to the Long Island home of Louis Tiffany, Laurelton Hall.  Here are the tops of the columns that I was allowed to photograph.  

The columns topped with daffodils.

The reception hall that I photographed while standing in Daffodil Hall.

Afterwards we ate at an outdoor cafe in Winter Park.  Huge desserts but we didn't have any.

Friday we prepared to leave for Punta Gorda.  When Kristin arrived home we headed out.  When we got close I texted my sister Laurie and asked where we should go and she directed us to a sports bar where I had fish and chips that I would come to regret big time.

Afterwards we went to my Dad's where Ted and I were hoping to fill in for the weekend to give Laurie and my Dad's wife, Edna, a break.  We were happy to find him very clear of mind but frail and needing help to do most everything.  I spent the night on the couch so I could hear him and things went well but I slept very little.

Saturday I was bothered a bit with stomach issues but just didn't eat anything.  Edna and Laurie were able to spend a few hours shopping and having lunch out.  Larry and Kristin were in a hotel and came over in the afternoon in time for church.  When we came home, we all ate, including me, though I ate small portions coupled with ginger ale in hopes it would settle whatever was going on.

I spent a second night on the couch but I was hit by the "green apple two step" and spent half the night in the bathroom.  At one point my Dad was blowing his whistle which meant he had called out and no one came so he moved to Plan B.  I hollered to wake Ted so he could attend to him.  After that we had a very restless night and by 6:30 I called Laurie to tell her what was happening and they came right over.  She assessed the situation, gave him a pain pill and got him quieted down.  In no time he was settled in his recliner with coffee and had no more complaints.  

Larry and Dad, at-home hospice care, 89 years old.

It's a real fine line to walk.  It was hard to say goodbye but we are all optimistic we will have more opportunities to visit with him.

We had a 3 hour drive to the Orlando airport so we left at 8:00 am for a 1:00 flight.  On the way we started receiving texts that our flight was delayed.  And Ted realized he left his I-Phone behind.  Since our departure was moved back we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  I had tea and dry toast!  It was 5 pm before we arrived in Houston.  A quick stop for some soup for me and a bit more for Ted and we headed for home.  

I hit the couch, promptly fell asleep and finally moved to bed at 9:30.  I slept until 4:30 when the phone weather alerts started going off.  I just stayed up after that because the alerts just kept coming.  

On Monday we had 8 players for bunco with 4 begging off worrying about the flooding though there wasn't any in our immediate area.  Later I dropped off my Blue Book at Shari's and came home to do the laundry.

Laurie arranged for Ted's phone to be insured and shipped overnight via Fed Ex since we are to be out of there at 5:30 am the next day.  It was $110!  Yikes!  It arrived at 12:30, two hours past the promised 10:30 but with the floods we were just grateful it arrived at all.

Tuesday was two doctor appointments.  One for routine bloodwork, the other follow up on my hip surgery.  I expected smooth sailing and hopefully an easy flight to Detroit in the morning.  My appointments were routine.  My heart is still beating and they took blood.  The second was two X-rays and all looks good.  Come back in six months to both places!  Mammogram and eye test are next month.

We were up at 4:30 am Wednesday, this time for a 7:20 am flight.  We had a delay getting away because I forgot my phone and then we noticed the garbage can still out.  They never did come on Tuesday for it, probably because of the high water in places.  But we pulled out at 5:27 and did our routine all over again but this time without TSA pre-check so it was off with the jacket and shoes, dig out the liquids bag, etc.  No problems though and once again a cart stopped and asked if we wanted to ride.  I know it is Ted's gray hair getting us all this service!  Couldn't possibly be because we look to be in our 70s.

We had another uneventful flight arriving so early that Kara was still 15 minutes away.  She picked us up, we stopped at Bill's work to say hello and then had lunch at my favorite deli.  We had not seen the two redone baths, new family room furniture, the painted walls, etc. at Kara's house.  Everything looks terrific!

Dr. C called and said my blood work numbers were fantastic.  My BP was 123/68, cholesterol 149, kidney and liver enzymes not at all bothered by the surgery, anesthesia and medicine over the past six months.  He had also tested for sugar and it was fine.  He said to keep doing what I am doing and come back in six months. Yippee!

We had a nice dinner and then Kelly texted and said Ally was working at Buffalo Wild Wings and wanted us all to come there.  So 9 of us went with some eating dinner, some a snack but Ted and I just had a soft drink.  It was our first time to meet the new boyfriend.  They both need to finish school so this could be any one of many outcomes.

Ally taking Kelly's order with me looking at the menu though I did not order anything.

Today Kara had a meeting so we hung around the house.  We have no car, it is raining and having a day to kick back was much welcomed.  The kids came home from school and I prepared Morgan's snack.  Sam made himself popcorn.  I had defrosted meatballs and sauce so that went in the oven so it would be ready when both Kara and Bill arrived home.

No comments: