Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Just Cruising

Well the Feds never did come arrest me but I told my niece they had and I was communicating on the  computer in my shoe just like Maxwell Smart.  I hope she is old enough to remember him.  It took Alison an hour and a half and $90 to clear up that mess.  I really need a new computer but I use my IPad so much I don't know if I want to bother.  Some junk can get through firewalls no matter what I guess.

Yesterday I worked at the thrift store.  After three hours of hauling bags, bending and sorting, I chose to sit down and cut off buttons.  No one seems to like to do that but I was able to empty the basket.  Who knew there was such a big market for buttons?

Today I am going to look for a dress for the wedding.  If it takes 3-4 months to come in as I have been advised it may, I will have time in the fall to get it altered (I know it will need to be hemmed since God built me so close to the ground).  Wish me luck!

Another niece and her husband are coming in from Alabama this weekend so we may have more family time visiting with them.  My sister-in-law Carol is not getting a lot of breathing room between house guests.

Tucker went home yesterday after spending the week.  We both missed him immediately.  It takes a day or two to stop looking around for him.  He is such a good dog, no trouble at all and is welcome back anytime.

I did reserve our Eastern European Riverboat cruise for August of 2014.  These ships are small and rooms fill up fast.  There are 70 cabins on this ship so it is the same size as the one we took to do western Europe.  Our France trip only had  39 passengers.  Keith, Steve and Marge are onboard (pun intended) and will make their reservations today.  They were waiting for me to get a group name and number.  If anyone is interested in joining us, let me know.  This will be our fourth trip with Grand Circle Tours and we have loved them all.  After our 12 day cruise we are going to Prague for four days.

I am confident and optimistic about the future but that did not stop me from buying the Cancel For Any Reason insurance.  It also covers a multitude of other things including the medical insurance the Czech Republic demands you carry.  Medicare does not pay outside the U.S. and is a consideration when traveling.  Because GCT has our records they reminded me both our passports expire in 2014 and that needs to be tended to also.  We will do that after February when we will be finished going over to Mexico.  Paperwork!!!

Before I get bombarded with "there is so much to see right here" comments I want to state we have been from Anchorage to Tijuana, Nova Scotia to Key West, San Diego to Jacksonville and most places in between.  We have visited most large cities and a multitude of small towns USA; national parks in the west and the height of Mount Ranier in the north.  We've seen the power of Niagara Falls and the majesty of Saguaro cacti in the desert.  The history to be seen in Europe is of great interest to us and we enjoy it. 

I have had no more moving experience than to visit the Battle of the Bulge cemetery in Luxembourg.  I have  been to Arlington and to the beaches of Normandy but I was moved beyond belief as I listened to the carillon play America the Beautiful, God Bless America, The Battle Hymn of the Republic in a foreign country that has given that land to us in perpetuity for what our country did for them.  The meticulously kept crosses and grounds are so beautiful.  George Patton is buried there.  He wanted to be buried with his men.  
Notable Quotations from George Santayana:
'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.' 
 Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense, Scribner's, 1905, page 284








No comments: