Thursday, August 4, 2011

Slowing Down the Pace

Kara and Allen stopped by with the kids on Monday before heading home. I had a chance to take them out behind us to the lake where we threw bread in for the ducks, fish and turtles. They got a big kick out of that. Sam said he is bringing his fishing pole next time.

They took off and I decided to take a nap on the couch. Not long after, it started ... beep, beep, beep. Of course Ted couldn't hear it so I got up to check on the refrigerator doors to be sure they were closed. But the flashing code was different than the open door one. I checked our book and this had to do with a high temp sensor or something and needed a service technician.

There is a mobile service that comes to this park. Ted called him and he knew exactly what was wrong. Six months ago we took the trailer in for a Norcold refrigerator recall. It turns out the recall is being recalled! The fellow had a kit to fix it but he was in Peebles, OH and wasn't going to be back until 3 o'clock on Tuesday.

So much for the nap. I put most of the freezer stuff in one side with a block of ice figuring it would be OK for 24 hours and we bought a bag of ice for inside the refrigerator so the things like mustard, ketchup, jelly, etc. could stay too. We bagged the rest and took it to Karen's. They are at the lake so I just left a note in case they came back.

We hung around on Tuesday and the fellow came at 2:45 and in no time had us up and running again. I "thought" I had a dinner that evening with my grade school friends but it was actually Wednesday night so my getting dressed and driving to the restaurant was for naught!

Wednesday we awoke to a terrible storm and no power. Outside, our grill had been knocked over and the latch broken plus our cooler had blown away. It was floating on the opposite side of the lake. It doesn't take long for 300 sq. ft. to heat up with no A/C so we gathered our laundry and headed to Karen's. We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast since we had no food and no power at this point. When our laundry was done we gathered up our food, left a new note for Karen, and came home.

I had the right night for the dinner so Ted dropped me off and he went on to the Fairfield Gun Club to shoot. There were about a dozen of my grade school friends in attendance. I always enjoy this gathering so much when I'm in town. We didn't have people moving in and out back in the 50s so we pretty much all went from kindergarten through 8th grade graduation together. There's a good split between "boys and girls" with a few spouses and friends thrown in. There's much catching up to do and then the "do you remember" stories begin. Such fun!

The weather is a bit cooler now since the storm. Let's hope the "inconveniences" are over for now.

We are going to the convent today to meet up with my cousin and visit our aunt who is 90 years old and in failing health. She is a Religious Sister of Mercy. Tomorrow is the charity "Skirt Game" in the town where we lived from 1968-71. Lots of my relatives will be there and we'll get another chance to visit. My nephew David does the fireworks for the event after the baseball game played by celebrities and politicians dressed in drag is completed. We're looking forward to seeing everyone.

I've plagiarized a picture off Facebook of Amy being walked down the aisle by her father, Tim. It's the shot I couldn't get.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hopefully all your troubles have been straightened out - seems like you have had your fair share. Have fun with family and friends!