Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm Back!

First off I didn't get to write about our nice visit with Bill and Karen in Burlington, KY before we left. We had dinner, saw a folk concert and then had coffee and dessert. Karen is one of the friends I've had the longest, back to 1963. Neither of us were even engaged when we met but now between us there are many years at Procter & Gamble, two husbands, five kids, eight grandchildren and one great grandchild on the way. That's a lot of water over the dam.


Now back to the week that went by so quickly. I thought I would be bored since I expected Kristin to mostly sleep and she did. But Eileen came to the hospital with me on Monday and then visited again on Wednesday and Friday. Friday evening, friends of Kristin's came by with supper for us and they spent a few hours.

By Saturday Kristin was able to get out to run errands. We hit the post office, bank and a few stores. We had lunch out and she was pretty tired. I took her home so she could sleep some while I went to church.

We attended St. Ann's from 1996-2001 and I knew almost everyone in that parish. I was so involved that it was hard for us to get out of church in a reasonable amount of time because I was always being stopped to discuss various things that were going on or being planned. Yesterday I recognized about a half dozen people and could only think of the name of one of them. Many have come and many have gone. Life marches on and it's true - you can't go home again.

Kara and family arrived at Disney World (again!) so we drove down to meet them and have dinner. They are at the Beach Club on Disney property for three days and then move to Kidani Village near Animal Kingdom for a week. They sure make the most of their timeshare with the Disney Vacation Club.

I had never been in this resort area known as the Disney Beach and Yacht Club Resorts. It is difficult to get around because the entire pool area is fenced in since it is only for Beach and Yacht Club guests. We somehow got into the pool area and couldn't find our way out! I said I felt like I was in an unnatural zoo habitat for humans. We finally made our way out after being stopped for not having wrist bracelets on but Kara had her room key. There were six of us in regular clothes. Duh! We had dinner at Hannah's Grill and then went to Beaches and Cream for ice cream.




Kara thought this was a great time to have the "kitchen sink" because we had enough people to eat it, or at least she thought we could.


However, we didn't quite make it.


Kristin and I left for home because we had an early morning wake up call. My flight was at 8 a.m. so we had to leave at 6 a.m. I had a delay at security waiting for a female TSA. My titanium hip always sets off the alarm so I know I'll be patted down. But I resent standing there for a long period of time, especially when my purse is not with me, while a female TSA saunters over when she is good and ready.

The flight was uneventful and after 30 years of Detroit, Orlando and Houston airports, the small Bluegrass Airport at Lexington was a breath of fresh air.

My first thing to do when we got back to Cincinnati after eating some breakfast was to print out Ted's boarding pass for tomorrow. He is flying to Orlando out of Cincinnati (expense account) for just a one night business trip. He'll spend tomorrow night with Kristin and be home Tuesday mid-morning. His is a really quick trip.

Our plans for Cave Run Lake in KY have been cancelled. Karen is having eye surgery on Thursday and they can't go. So we're staying here an extra week to be sure she is OK before heading back to the Lexington/Georgetown/Frankfurt area of KY. Where exactly and for how long? It's anyone's guess.

We are having dinner with Ted's family tonight. Back to the Bier House and more hot bacon slaw and pretzel bread!

I got the bill for my surgery. Now I know what those doctors were wearing masks for. ~ James H. Boren

1 comment:

Carol said...

Glad everything went well with Kristen's surgery and your trip was uneventful. Seems like you stay busy no matter where you go! Have a nice day "off" with Ted gone for the day. If you have time you should go to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky - it's a lovely area and Dan and I enjoy.