Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Rough Ending to 2022

Thursday we took some things to the motorhome and I couldn’t get the freezer drawer open.  With the slides in it was hard to get a tight grip but it felt like it was jammed.  Once we moved it to the park Ted was able to pull it and the glides had gotten “yucky” and were just sticking so Ted used WD40 on them and all is ok now.  These rigs just sitting is not good for them.  

Our microwave handle at home had pulled out at the bottom a good while back.  We glued it and it held until Patrick pulled on it at the bottom versus the top which we had trained ourselves to do and it pulled out again.  No time to do anything about it so we reglued it and will deal with getting a new one installed in March.  It has seen 20 years of service.  Same for the toilet seat that cracked and the washer that gave out on the last load of linens after 25 years of service not to mention hundreds of miles in being moved from Florida to Texas and in and out of storage.  We took the sopping wet sheets and towels to the motorhome where I spun the water out and then we took them home to dry.  One load at home = three in the motorhome dryer.  

So we finally thought all was good.  Decorations put away, motorhome packed up except for the refrigerator and freezer items and then my phone, email, texts and messages went berserk!    Someone was asking about doing a favor for them with my Amazon account.  I have learned many recognized the current scam, some had their filter stop it and everyone else tried to reach me while I was frantically trying to work with Xfinity 

Somewhere in your email set up is a place to have emails forwarded automatically.  Someone was able to put l04donnarae@hotmail in that spot.  Be sure to check yours!  I didn’t even know there was such a feature.  With emails, they were able to use my address book using my real address.  If you got a hotmail one, notice the first letter is a lower case “el” not the number one and of course hotmail was wrong.  Then I had to change my password but was unable to send or receive mail.  Turns out the Xfinity guy used the letter “el” instead of the “one” on his end so I was not being recognized and we wasted a lot of time.  I think it is good for now, at least let’s hope so.

We finally went to church in what we wore all day.  We sat in the back hoping no one took notice of us.  We went back home, did the last of our checklist and went to the new Chik Fil A that we found out is drive thru or eat outside only.  So we took our meals home.  Ted watched Ohio State football, I turned on the bedroom TV and instantly went to sleep.  I assume 2023 arrived with no fanfare from me.  Hopefully we would take off on time in the morning and have an uneventful trip to Mission.  

We left Sunday morning in a heavy fog but traffic was light and after two fuel stops and one pit stop, we arrived at Retama about 4:00.  Steve and Patty next door said we arrived right on time to share a prime rib dinner with them, Steve and Marisa. What a welcome invitation that was!  And delicious.  We got set up and I turned in early.  

The next day was spent mostly on the phone with Verizon because service here is almost non-existent!  We have never had this problem.  With the problems I had with my Xfinity security I really needed to be able to keep close watch on things.  There is a “ticket” out on an outage at our tower.  Let’s hope that gets fixed!  

Steve couldn’t find where to turn our water on and determined Ted had to cut down bushes (really small tress) in the storage area to access “whatever” and also clear it to get the garbage can in and out.  

I guess last year’s renter didn’t take care of things like we try to do.  But we were thankful, as was the owner, to get a new renter immediately when we couldn’t come.

Niles called and told us to meet the group at the Pizzaria at 5:45 and we did.  It took two tables so I didn’t get to talk to Karen. She Messaged me the next day to set up a lunch next week so we can catch up.  

Tuesday Ted went shooting and in the afternoon I played mahjong.  I won the second game and was one tile away from winning a “closed” hand (you are not allowed to pick up discards).  It was 3 tiles away when someone else won.  

We had bean soup I made from our Christmas ham for dinner and called it a day.  No plans for Wednesday but a Thursday trip over to Mexico is set up.  We will make dental appointments for cleaning, Ted will get his pedicure he won’t get in the US and I will start scouting med prices for now.  We are off and running!


  

No comments: