Monday, December 12, 2022

Cookies and More Cookies!

I found a lighted garland for our mantel but now am in search of a red candle!  There are none to be found.  I have boxes of candles and only one red taper!  That one elusive candle for the right side will finish it.  That’s it for decorations considering the kids leave 12/30 and we head out 1/1.  Getting the motorhome ready will take precedence over putting away decorations.  That little bit may still be there when we return in March. I doubt Nancy wants to do it!  Update:  Ted found a pair of red candles.  Project finished.  

It was a slow weekend after my whirlwind week so we went to church, took Communion to Jeanette and Dick and ate at the Mexican restaurant.  Then I made cookies!  Lots of cookies.  I am not sure what to do with them all.  I have some for my friend Irene, and of course Nancy, and I will take a box to our neighborhood luncheon on Thursday, but my freezer is stacked full!  I have no containers left.  I hope the kids tear into them.  

Tuesday was Shanghai and dinner at the country club and I came in second.  I hung on to a player (an 8) and threw an ace then had someone go out.  Those 8 points vs. 1 for an ace set me in second place.  But I won a few dollars.

Wednesday we went to Mass in the evening for the holyday because Thursday was going to be too busy to do it.  I had a breakfast at 10, lunch at 1 and dinner at 6.  Come morning I chose to skip the breakfast and take my time preparing for the other two outings.

I had my car hatch up at the lunch restaurant and it was filled with groceries after everyone arrived.  After a nice meal where I was gifted three boxes of tea and Christmas cups as lunch coordinator, we went to Jeanette’s for dessert and presents.  


I had taken a box of cookies and there was a peppermint chocolate cake.  I took a piece home for Ted.  We exchanged gifts and I had to run. I needed to change my top to my gold and black dressy sweater for my 6 o’clock dinner.  It was an hour away in Houston so I had to take the interstate, the toll road and head west along a major thoroughfare, but I made it in plenty of time to secure a table for our group.  There was a vote taken on having this dinner held as a luncheon in the daytime and that is what will happen next year I guess.  I saw so many people I have not seen all year because of my surgery, traveling and my back pain from my meds.  I had signed up for three things to work at but had to cancel because I knew I physically couldn’t do it.  I am delighted to report the new pill is not causing the joint pain problem but I did take it for 7 months before it did!  Time will tell!

Ted had to make a trip to church on Saturday to unload all the groceries in my car and then again on Sunday to turn in our “tree tag” gifts.  I had ordered 4 children’s puffy jackets from Macy’s and only two had arrived.  One was not coming until 12/29 and I was able to cancel it.  I have heard nothing about #4 so if it doesn’t come before we leave, I have given Nancy custody of it until next Christmas!  We went to Mass, took Communion to our friends, went out to eat, then home.  We laugh that we now come home at a time when we used to be going out!  

Sunday plans were to attend the German Christmas Market with Tommy and Susan but we awoke to rain and they bailed.  We also had told Jeanette and Dick we would take them to the Christmas Concert at First Baptist church.  He is 90, she is 80 and while she gets around fine, she is not comfortable taking him out alone because he is not steady on his feet.  She called and asked if we could go to dinner before since Dick has not been out except to his daughter’s in a long time.  Since we weren’t going to the Christmas Market, it was fine.

We chose a restaurant on the way to the church that had burgers to filets.  Everyone ordered something different and all plates were empty in the end.  Dick kept saying how much he was enjoying being out in a social setting.  Our neighbor, Debbie, a recent widow was so delighted to see we attended.  Otherwise, she would have had no one in attendance.  It is probably the best Christmas gift we are giving this year.













 


 

No comments: