Thursday, April 28, 2022

New Floor

We got all tucked away on Monday and it always amazes me how much stuff you need to bring for only four days!  We needed food, clothes and toiletries.  When we leave for several months it will be the same but we will use it all a lot before we come back home.  

HitchHiker friends were camping just north of us (as seen on FB) so I invited them for dinner.  It has been a few years since we joined the HitchHiker rally in Ingram, TX and saw them.  Susan is fourth from the left.  We had a good visit and we wished them safe travels as they headed to Tyler, TX the next day.



I have been talking about replacing our wood floors after 19 years.  Overall they look fine but I am aware of every nick and bang if one would inspect closely.  Also, I wanted a darker wood and wider planks this time.  Vivienne showed me the work she had done so I called the company.  They came out Thursday, I chose the flooring and they started the next day!  Here is the darker, wider wood I chose (laying the wrong way so color shows better.  It will run the same way our lighter wood was laid).  I needed it to blend with the cabinets because I don’t want to change them at this time.  I don’t want white, gray or dark so I will stay with the status quo.

And what a mess!  I avoided refinishing because they said it was so messy but I don’t think it could have been any worse than getting this old stuff up!  

That took all day Friday to remove the old floor, sanding and floating on Saturday, actual installation Sunday.  We were planning to celebrate our 57th wedding anniversary on Saturday with dinner at Perry’s and would go to church Sunday morning so Ted could shoot in a charity event (with my blessings).  Since they were keeping us locked in and out of our bedroom in back, or the office in front, we cancelled the reservation and moved to Plan B.  We used our bedroom time to shower and dress, they left in time for us to get to church, took Communion to our neighbors and I chose Golden Corral for dinner (I wanted fried chicken) and it tasted good.  We decided not to move our reservation to Sunday because of not knowing anyone’s timing,  The work got finished and Ted eventually came home from his event.  Two shooters shot 77, he shot 76.  That put him third and he got nothing!  The $800 entry fee had been paid by a patron so nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Our finished family room.  The coffee table is new.  There is a matching side table by Ted’s double  lounger (opposite side of the floor lamp). 


I got a whole lot done Sunday after the workers left.  Everything had dust on it and all decorative things had been removed.  I made a lot of progress and finished up Monday morning before I left for cards at noon.  I came in first place with a score of only 25 (you want to be low).  While I was gone, Ted changed our AC filters and used an RV cleaner on all our kitchen cabinets.  I could smell the orange scent as soon as I walked in.  Maybe he felt guilty about my being alone on our anniversary.  He also made a Perry’s reservation for Tuesday evening.  

Tuesday I did laundry and tied up some loose ends in the office.  We went to Perry’s early evening.  They had red rose petals on our table .  Ted had their signature pork chop and I had chicken.  We both brought enough home for another meal and we had ordered from the Senior Menu.


I missed my friend Nancy’s birthday last week so I invited her to lunch on Thursday.  We had a nice afternoon.  We stopped by her house where they are having the same floor removal we had just completed due to a leak during the Big Freeze.  I’m not sure why they are just now getting it done.  They had the same awful mess we had and I was glad my house had been cleaned Wednesday after all we had done before then.  They have a big job ahead!  








No comments: