Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Last Week of 2019

We had a fairly quiet weekend after the week of activity getting here.

Sunset looking out our RV door,



I was anxious to play mahjong again but I had not even looked at the new card for 2019 that arrived at home on April 1 let alone actually played in our Newcomers group.  So Friday was my first attempt - and I won two games!  What a confidence builder!

We had a list of some meds for our friend and our daughter so we headed to Mexico.  The reports have been to not cross into Reynosa or Matamoras and Progresso was iffy.  I read about the incident in the parking lot and determined it was a local encounter of young folks so we went ahead.  If the parking lot was empty or things felt strange when we crossed the bridge, we would duck into the first pharmacy, get what we needed and come right home.

The parking lot was full, people were walking across the bridge, the streets were crowded and all appeared normal.  We stopped in Jessica’s and gave our list to Arturo and went into the restaurant for free coffee while we waited.  Later in the day it becomes free margaritas!

The coffee cup they served Ted’s coffee in!  He didn’t see it until I started laughing.


They had all we needed except for a fourth box of what our friend needed.  Also he had not given me enough to buy four.  I texted him and we agreed I would buy the three, mail them to him and float him a loan to buy the fourth box when it became available and we could bring it home before he needed it.  So that’s what we did.

Ted wanted a pedicure so I walked the entire town stopping at every pharmacy, and there are many, but could not find a fourth box of pills.  I did stop at El Disco to buy a painted glass set of salt and pepper shakers to replace the ones my niece left in her cabin in Nashville during the family reunion.  I brought them along with the 5 dozen scrambled eggs I made but she didn’t realize they were mine.

Our last stop was at Rene’s where we normally have coffee and cinnamon rolls but it was late so I chose lonches for lunch instead.  They brought us chips covered with white and yellow melted cheese while I waited and Ted ate his roll in front of me!  I am dealing with less than a pound over goal and need to make it go away.

My plate came with four (!) sandwiches.  I took the tomato, avocado and grilled onions off then made two meat and onion sandwiches for Ted and put the tomato back on mine.  Neither of us eat avocados.  They are small so two was just right!  And Ted ate breakfast and lunch in succession!

When we crossed the bridge to come home, people were being stopped on the bridge at the actual border.  In years gone by everyone could cross into the US, half a bridge length, before arriving at Customs, but no more.  We had our passports in our hands and were waved through.  I tell Ted we look like Joe and Josephine Tourist so they don’t waste time getting us out of the way.

We stopped at Dickies to return my jeans.  They had the tiny 3 inch zipper and sat too low.  They were just uncomfortable.  I got two tops and Ted a new jacket instead.  We went to church at 5:00 and came home.

Sunday Ted went shooting and I played mahjong again.  I won three games!  Getting jokers certainly helps!  I made three 8 x 8 trays of lasagna for dinner.  Two I stuck in the freezer for another time.

The only thing we did Monday was drive to the post office in Penitas to mail the two boxes of drugs - one to Texas, the other to Michigan.  We still need to get Ted’s eye drops, his analgesic back cream and my two boxes of Eliquis to stay out of the donut hole next November and December!

Tonight is New Year’s Eve.  Our plans are to go to church at 6 pm, eat out somewhere then check in on the 6 hour party at the clubhouse.  I doubt we stay until midnight, but maybe the 11 pm CST ball drop in NYC on TV will do.


No comments: