Sunday, December 15, 2019

Christmas Busy!

Monday I played Canasta with just 7 other ladies since so many could not make it.  If not for making our wild card Canasta once I would have won!  We play for $1 so not much lost.  Afterwards I dropped my Christmas cards off at the post office then continued on to UPS to mail two packages.

Tuesday was my friend Irene’s big surprise birthday party at a local restaurant.  I picked up Carol and drove in the rain to the venue where there were 33 ladies present to honor her.  She turned 80, takes no meds, walks everyday, is fit and trim and attributes no alcohol, lots of water, vitamins and keeping busy to her good health.  When I took her for foot surgery the doctor said she was the healthiest 79 year old he had ever seen especially one taking no meds.

Wednesday was a funeral at church but I had my dessert all ready to go and Ted dropped it off.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning and getting dishes and things ready for the group coming for dessert, coffee and presents on Thursday.

Our group for Thursday’s annual neighborhood Christmas lunch was cut almost in half with the death of one’s mother, the fall of another, two sick, one attending a retiree luncheon, etc.  We all gathered back at my house to share an enormous amount of desserts and drinks!



Friday was deviled eggs for another funeral.  Most everyone loves deviled eggs, they are always all eaten but apparently no one likes to make them!  My Instant Pot makes short work of boiling them and they peel so easily.  I am the official deviled egg lady at church!  Ted took my two dozen eggs to church for me and then we went shopping for our 2 year old great niece Anna who would be having dinner with us.

I wrapped the presents for Terry, Carol and Anna and we left to meet them at the country club for dinner. Anna is their great granddaughter, Kelsey is their granddaughter and Kenny is their son with his wife Jana, all from Alabama.  We had a delightful visit and meal.  Family is so important around the holidays!

Friend Tommy called to say they were going to be in the area Saturday to visit Susan’s aunt in hospice.  They wanted us to have lunch so we agreed to meet them at 1:00.  Susan was visibly upset and said she doubted her aunt would live through the day.  We had a nice lunch, got caught up with them and all the changes coming - Susan’s retirement, gutting the house for a redo and possibly a new motorhome down the road before saying our goodbyes.

We were going to church at 5:00 and then to play Shanghai so I got my cheeses, crackers and dishes together so we could go right over to Connie’s afterwards.  Ted forgot his glasses so we had to go home anyway so he could see to play cards.

We had a very nice spread despite Connie having a broken foot and using one of those knee scooters to get around.  And I won!  Well, actually Connie and I tied.  The leader did not get down in Game 6 so she was caught with a handful of points, Connie had 10 and I had 13.  Turns out Connie had 3 points in her hand matching my score so we split the pot.

On the way home I had a message from Susan, her aunt had indeed passed later in the day.  Such a hard blow, especially around the holidays.

Ted is leaving for Plano TX Sunday to make a business call first thing Monday morning.  He will be back in the afternoon.  This next week is less busy so I will start getting ready to load the trailer.  Also, our baby Cece and her “other side of the family” will be here Friday to stay with us until their family reunion starts.  We are looking forward to seeing them again.



No comments: