Friday, March 23, 2018

Pack Up and Out

Friday we were invited for muffins and coffee at Steve and Maresa's to look at the atlas and determine if their farm is close enough on the way north towards North Dakota to stop and stay a day or two this summer.  We learned I had chosen a campground just a bit beyond so it would be a perfect place to stop instead.  There were 4 RV hookups when they bought the place and they kept them for just this reason.

When we came back it was time to put all the furniture from under the pergola back into the coach house.  It all fits like a puzzle and we got it just right.  Ted had already been doing some outside things getting ready to leave on Saturday morning.

I went to play mahjongg and won 3 games with two games just a tile away.  I checked and can play on Wednesdays at home.  We went to Cracker Barrel for trout for me and shrimp for Ted then came back to relax before our travel day that was coming up.  

We were up by 7:00 Saturday and ready to head out by 8:30.  We gave a few hugs and left with me following Ted.  We made it several miles down the expressway and Ted called to say his Drain Water Separator light had come on.  This happened when we left Sikeston, MO last year!  We knew what needed to be done but finding a place to pull in with truck and trailer is a bit tricky.  We decided to go north on 281 and pull into Flying J which was on our way.  Ted went around the back, I parked in front.  I saw a Flying J Road Service Assistance truck so I called the phone number.  The tech said he would be right over.  I called Coach Net to get authorization only to learn their records show our contract was up!  I will be checking this with my records when I get home!  With our mail forwarding I guess anything can fall through the cracks.  

The tech, who is used to semis, didn't know quite what to do so I read from the manual about the petcock being on the frame rail, next to the transmission, under the driver's seat that needs to be drained of 60-75 ml of water until fuel flows.  Ted had gotten a cup from inside so the tech slid under (that's the part that Ted can't do) and turned the petcock (what I can't do) and drained the module.  We asked what we owed him and he said nothing because he really didn't do any repair but we could give him $20 if we wanted!  So we did.  From now on, before any trip, the truck is going up on the lift and getting that module drained while the trailer isn't attached!

Having a problem while driving an RV where you get parked safely, get back on the road in under an hour for $20, you have a WIN!  I stopped at the Border Patrol checkpoint at Fulfurrias where I was waved through without even one question and then one stop at the rest area.  I enjoyed the bluebonnets and primrose blooming all along the way.

We got set up in the campground in Victoria by 3:00 and left to find the church.  Once we did that we went to Mumphord's BBQ.  We were warned about the outside appearance but were told not to let it deter us. The recommendation was right on!  I had turkey but Ted had ribs, brisket and sausage which we declared all excellent.  


We had enough time to stop at the store for Dawn and Pledge that I needed before heading back to the church.  Despite the long Palm Sunday service we were out before 6:45.  We stopped by Dairy Queen for an ice cream before coming home for the evening.

We were up and on our way by 8:30 Sunday morning and had an easy drive into Houston.  The further north we went, the bigger the blankets of wild flowers got.  So pretty!  Once in Houston we entered the I-610 circle from the SW, proceeded north then east to pick up I-45 north.  Just as the two 6 lane highways merge I heard a boom and my car went into limp mode.  I was losing speed and just barely moved to the far right lane when it stopped.  I put on my flashers and called Ted who was ahead of me.  I told him to continue on and get the trailer dropped at the campground and I would stay in touch.  I called Coach Net to see if they could at least send someone even though I knew I would have to pay.  She was more concerned with getting me to a safe place and said she was calling 911.  Just then I saw a wrecker making its way to me.  The man stopped traffic to get pulled up behind me, helped me to his truck to be safe and loaded the car on.  I asked him to take me to the nearest Ford dealer.  Houston has a Safe Clear law and if you are blocking traffic, and I was, they will safely tow you 20 miles for $167, you have no choice.  I frankly was delighted to be rescued.  

Because it was Sunday we could not get onto the first dealer's property so he took me to the next one closer to my home.  They too were closed but their Quick Lane oil change business was open and said we could drop the car there and to call Service first thing Monday and they would come over to get it.  

Once off the wrecker bed, the car started, went in gear and moved forward and reverse.  He said sometimes the transport will get just enough fuel to start the motor but he was of the opinion it was something to do with the fuel pump, maybe a belt or hose.  We shall see.  The good news was I checked our auto insurance and we have $150 towing coverage!  It is just hard to believe we have had no trouble with either vehicle and then pow!, both of them one right after the other.

I called Ted who had dropped the trailer and set it up. He left immediately to come get me.  His brother told us to come by and take their Lexus to use.  So we stopped there to do that.  I also gave my sister-in-law the eye drops we had brought back for her.

Finally we made it to the campground and packed the truck and Lexus and moved stuff home.  Monday Ted emptied the refrigerator and cleaned it.  We leave it open to totally dry out.  The bathroom was next and then normal dusting, vacuuming and floors.  We had until Tuesday to move the trailer to storage but did it Monday evening.

I had been working non stop on all the mail and paperwork waiting for me.  I did my sister-in-law's taxes.  Because she has to file a Schedule D, the free filings are not free.  First one I tried was $26, the second $46!  I just went to .gov, filled out her forms, printed them and sent them with an addressed envelope to her to sign and send.  Then I did ours and we have an $800 refund instead of having to pay, welcome news.  I went through all the mail, sent a wedding RSVP, ordered the gift, got checks ready for deposit, sent a birthday card to my brother, emailed our window washer's name to my friend who had requested it and now I have a huge stack of filing and one for shredding.

I also called our insurance and filed a claim for my towing.  No problem.  When I contacted Coach Net about our expired membership I was informed the billing was emailed to - wait for it - trogers! who promptly replied he didn't get an email bill (in October 2016!).  Some things just aren't worth arguing about!  

My car is being looked at today.  They were able to drive it from the oil change area to the Service area so we are thinking it is not the motor or transmission.  Ted said maybe the catalytic converter!  



No comments: