Sunday, December 10, 2017

Final Week Before the Onslaught

Sunday found us at church at 9 am again.  We are so used to Saturday evening church that getting up and dressing on Sunday is almost foreign to us.  The Knights of Columbus were selling tamales after church so we bought Bidkar 6 black bean vegan ones, also gluten free.  Cooking for a vegetarian, gluten free eater has me scouring grocery shelves and recipes on line.  


We hurried home afterwards so Ted could go shooting and return in time for a 2 pm open house here in our neighborhood.

Having been gone all day Saturday I had lots of straightening up to do and then made some crostini to take with us.  I also threw in a few lemon tarts too.  There was so much food we actually brought most of it home!  There was an interesting mix of people - some luncheon ladies, some old neighbors, some friends of theirs I didn't know.  It was a pleasant get together and we were home before dinner time.

Monday was Canasta day back at Kathleen's.  I took her a small gift since I was there twice in three days time.  I had decent cards but came in third, out of the money.  Another $1 lost!

My big day arrived Tuesday and we were at the hospital at 10.  About 10:40 I was taken back to get prepared.  At 11:15 I was taken to the operating room and was finished by noon.  Then I waited in the recovery room/discharge area until 3:45!!  I was fully awake, had eaten a big glass of ice and drank a big cup of water.  They asked if I could use the bathroom.  No problem!  I got dressed, Ted got the car and home we came.  He fixed me soup and a sandwich before I plopped on the couch and stayed there.

Wednesday Ted went on some errands for me while I dealt with Christmas cards and stacks of paper on my desk.  By the time he came home I had the cards ready to mail and my stack of paper depleted.  Great feeling.  Then we went to the grocery one more time.  I think we will need to go at least once more.  I had to clean the pantry and refrigerator to be sure everything would fit.  He fixed dinner and we watched Survivor plus other shows.

Our neighborhood ladies lunch and party was Thursday.  Dana drove me and Merry to the restaurant.  It is a higher end one in our area but for Christmas we go a bit better than normal.  After lunch we went to Jeanette's for drinks and dessert.  Then we had a gift exchange.  Half way through, Isabelle set off our alarm and I got a call.  I had to walk home to get things squared away with ADT.  Ted was due home at 3:00 but she came at 2:45.  Always something!


Friday was all mine!  I didn't even get dressed.  I did four loads of laundry, finished wrapping presents, wrote out a few more Christmas cards I had missed AND made one of the three reservations we need for condos in Hawaii next Christmas!  Kara's family and we know what our plans are on the Big Island and Oahu so we felt confident in choosing the two King bedroom and one twin bedroom townhouse.  When the others get around to choosing their dates, I will make the rest but not until then.  I hope what they want is still available.  Dealing with this family can be like herding cats at times!  

Saturday after church Terry and Carol took us to Landry's for dinner since they are leaving for Chicago on Wednesday.  We exchanged gifts and had a great meal and visit.  It was raining really hard when we left and all the umbrellas were in the car!

Here are a few photos from the nursing home Christmas party that just now were posted on the Forum website.

Three of our eight helpers preparing balloons that are tied to residents' wheelchairs.


Gail, my co-chair, and I.


Jim, the former organist for the Astros who now plays at our church too.  He did an awesome job!  
















No comments: