Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Final Stretch

 Ted went shooting and I enjoyed my coffee Sunday morning.  I had lots of time before heading to the shower to dress for a late lunch with John and Irene.  Ted had gone shooting early so he would be back in time to dress for lunch too.  

We were meeting at Cheesecake Factory that doesn't take reservations but they arrived before us and it wasn't too long before we had a table.  We were celebrating Irene's birthday and Christmas.  Despite the crowds we were not rushed and had a delicious and leisurely lunch.  

From there we drove to Gerre and Barry's to deliver two toys for their church project and drop off Gerre's gift.  We had a really nice visit and we encouraged them to stop by Christmas Day for dinner after their son left. They are planning to visit us in Mission in February as are John and Irene as well as Tommy and Susan.  We are looking forward to all the company!

My bunco group's Christmas lunch was on Monday.  I am proud to say the ladies filled the back of my Expedition with groceries for the food pantry.  


Mary's table was exquisitely set in gold and green and her food was terrific.  Afterwards we played a game to distribute gifts.  Lots of passing right and left, stealing and unwrapping involved!  I ended up with the softest throw that matches our new RV furniture.  I used it that night and it is so soft and warm.

I had my cardiologist appointment on Tuesday.  We got the best news!  Dr. D said the most recent Dopplar shows the DVT is GONE!  The "old clot" Dr. P referred to, she said is in a surface vein and is more of a phlebitis situation but nothing to be concerned about with the Eliquis.  She also agreed the filter should come out.  Since it can't be done until some time in January, we all agreed it is okay to leave it until March when we return near the end of March. A new lease on life!  I will continue with Eliquis since no cause was determined for why I developed a DVT in the first place.   

We were expecting our granddaughter and her husband late that night but they had stopped overnight in Ohio so we went to bed figuring everyone would arrive on Wednesday.  When I got up in the morning I had a text that they were in our driveway sleeping!  They had arrived at 5:45 but didn't want to wake us.  The garage door going up woke them up and I hustled them right off to bed.

Kelly, Pat and Cassie arrived mid afternoon having spent two nights on the road.  They all unloaded more presents around the Christmas chairs and we still have 3 more people arriving Saturday!


 I made taco soup for dinner, with and without meat, both gluten free.  I had also made gluten free corn muffins and I think all were eaten.  For the rest of us I served crusty French bread.  With toppings of sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips, everyone enjoyed the soup.  I broke out my Christmas butter cookies (taste way better than they look) and Blue Bell peppermint ice cream for dessert.  


Everyone was tired so it wasn't a very late night.  Cassie chose to stay with us in the twin bedroom rather than listen to her father snore in the hotel room.  

Thursday was a lazy day.  Everyone was tired from the long road trip and slept very late.  We decided to play Mexican Train, have dinner and then go see some lights.  


I fixed an easy dinner - two meat loaves from the freezer, baked potatoes, green beans and salad.  After loading the dishwasher we took off and checked out what are advertised as the best lights in our area.  It was late when we returned.  Kelly and Pat returned to the Hyatt and eventually everyone else drifted off to bed.  Just one more day until the next three arrive!

Everyone has been pretty low key since arriving.  They sleep in very late, have a little breakfast and then take their time getting dressed.  I had suggested taking the trolley ride and visiting the dancing water fountains but it never happened.  Kelly made three different kinds of cookies and when she finished I produced another meal - Roast pork loin, wild rice, fried apples, mixed vegetables and salad. Bidkar opted for the black bean tamales.  When we were finished the kids figured out how to get their wedding pictures from the photographer's website to our TV.  We saw all of them up to the ceremony before it all froze.  The TV was not responding to any remote command and we couldn't even turn it off.  Ted and Pat finally unplugged it and all was good but so much for the rest of the pictures.  I finally went off to bed around 11 but everyone else was still up.

Saturday the three from Florida arrived and our current guests moved on to other accommodations since this new group had planned their visit here first.  Once everyone was settled we all headed to church and afterwards had pizza for dinner!  Yeah!  No cooking for me.


Afterwards, Cassie opened her gifts because she was leaving in the morning and then there was a mini village gingerbread house building extravaganza.  


Cassie won but the others managed to stay together at least.  



Merry Christmas!





No comments: