Sunday, October 8, 2017

And We Are Home (For a Spell)

Saturday night after dinner, we returned to the campground to take all the refrigerator items home.  I wanted to leave it open to dry out so I can close the freezer and be confident there is no moisture to plug the defrost line.  So far my diligence has paid off.

Sunday morning we relaxed some before starting to pack up our last minute items and cleaning in earnest.  I was just about finished when Tommy and Susan came by with a bug sprayer set-up Tommy purchased.  He wanted us to try it before storing the trailer.  Ted did that and we visited awhile before heading out.  It was a short drive to storage and Ted backed it right in.  Of course we forgot the coffee, sweet & low and creamers plus his salad toppings I had gathered into one spot in the pantry.  Even both of us making a cup of coffee didn't spark a thought that these things needed to go home.  Luckily the one thing we can get to when closed up is the pantry!  So Ted went back to get those things.  

I put most stuff away and started the laundry.  We took a little break then finished up before dinner.  I was feeling really good and didn't sit down until after the dishes were cleaned up but headed to bed at 10:00 and then couldn't sleep!  I didn't sleep well and got up about 5:00.

I had lots to do in my office and it was 9:00 before I came out.  I still have to call a credit union back because they were closed for Columbus Day.  I went to play Canasta later in the day and came in second!  Terry and Carol welcomed their first great grandchild while we were playing.  That makes us great-great aunt and uncle 8 times on Ted's side.

Tuesday, bright and early, Irene came over to show me her meatloaf recipe.  She made two for our family when the girls were here and they were outstanding!  I had everything bought, chopped, lined up, ready to go.  Just like Julia Childs!

She doesn't use a recipe so I had everything new so when she was finished I could determine how much she had used of things.  I am a recipe person!  In case you are interested she uses ground meat, Italian bread crumbs, eggs, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, red bell pepper, onions, chopped canned tomatoes, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder.  We made 5 loaves, put them in disposable aluminum loaf pans, wrapped them in wax paper and then foil. It didn't take long because everything had been ready to go.  With all the company we are having it won't take long to use them up.

Tuesday night we met John, Irene, Terry and Carol for dinner to celebrate our birthdays at Pappadeaux Seafood.  I was so glad no one ordered a birthday cake!  Three had been enough.  I was stuffed from coconut shrimp.  In fact, I didn't sleep well because it sort of just sat there all night!

Wednesday I finished up my office work.  It always amazes me how much can pile up.  Isabelle came to clean so that kept me close to home.  

We both had dermatologist appointments first thing on Thursday morning.  I had a huge wart cut off my calf and Ted has a very small spot of cancer on his arm that he will need to put his "chemical warfare" medicine on.  Later my neighborhood luncheon was fun with three of us receiving another dozen birthday cards.  In late afternoon I had a nail appointment.  I had basically been gone from 8:00 am to 7:30 pm!  

I had an easy day on Friday.  Ted went shooting and I spent time on the phone and computer and helped Kristin make a reservation for our Greece cruise next fall.  She is going to be roommates with my widowed sister-in-law.  Both were interested in going but a single fare is almost the same as a double fare so it worked out.  We now have 18 people going in 9 cabins.  This is the group we traveled through the Panama Canal with three years ago and we know we will have a good time!

I also worked on our Christmas card.  We didn't have much vacation time to take pictures but we did have Sam playing at Carnegie Hall, Ally getting married and our family reunions.  Maybe our trip to New Braunfels will produce a few.  Another win for Ted at Nationals would be nice but his forte is Skeet and he is competing in Sporting Clays so he hasn't gotten his hopes up.  

Ted worked an event at the gun club, some group from Montgomery County, on Saturday.  After church we went to play cards.  Ted was winning until the last hand and when he couldn't get down his score went sky high.  Such is life!  

We are expecting Dan and Sue here this week before we all take off for New Braunfels for the Nationals in San Antonio.   We will be staying in a 3/2 log house, part of a small resort, in the Hill Country, compliments of a business acquaintance of Dan's!  

This was the week we were supposed to be in Hawaii!  I am learning to roll with the punches.  Life is good.  

No comments: