Friday, September 8, 2017

Getting Behind

Not much going on here.  Everyone is still in recovery mode, the kids are gradually getting back to school and Irma has pushed Harvey off the front page.  I didn't do anything worth mentioning other than my shopping day when I discovered an 18 inch, single strand of black shiny beads doesn't exist!   I tried the two biggees Charming Charlie and Sam Moon and then Irene and Carol's collections.  They have lots of necklaces but not what I was looking for.  I eventually bought a blue one that will do but I wanted black!

I got my hair cut and made appointments for the two wedding weekends while we are gone.  I have been watching the temps in Michigan and Ohio and getting out clothes for the weddings and our time up north.  Sure hope I get to see some fall colors.

Friday we met Gerre and Barry at Applebee's for dinner and then to the community theater to see Beauty and the Beast.  The costumes were innovative and Belle had a superb voice.  In fact, everyone who had even a small singing part was excellent.  But it was long!!  Almost 3 hours is a long time to sit.

We had received a call that our dishwasher had arrived at Lowe's. We ordered it 8/14 and it only had to come from Houston (BH - Before Harvey).  After several attempts to set up installation and receiving no return calls, Ted went there Saturday morning.  The lady who books installations doesn't work on Saturdays, just during the week.  Ted asked if she ever returns phone calls since we had been calling for several days.  He was aggravated.  Monday he is going back.  We may be getting our money back and starting over.

Saturday we hosted Shanghai at our home after we went to church.  We had a good time with Bob and Ted taking top honors. Ted shared his winnings with me because my dime purse was getting low.  

And now the shoe is on the other foot and I am watching Irma's approach.   I have two sisters (one on each coast) and a daughter in the middle of Florida.  It was hard to sit here and watch the devastation taking place and heading their way.  Now I know how they all felt when we were in the midst of Harvey.  My sister from the west coast, her son and 4 dogs came inland to stay with my daughter. 

By Monday morning Irma had cracked two trees in half that took out my daughter's fence and the pool screen of the lady next door.  Power was out but everyone, including the four dogs and one cat, were fine.  With no power it didn't take long for the heat to take over.  The company and dogs left at 6 pm when the curfew was lifted to start their trek back home.  

I went to play Canasta Monday afternoon and though I had four good games, top honors went to the team that got two wild card Canastas in one game for a whopping 5000 extra points.  It was dinner time when I got home so we went to a new restaurant that opened around the corner.  We were able to watch the start of the Monday night football game.

Tuesday our WOW group hosted a mini social to replace the Annual Social that was cancelled due to Harvey.  I had lunch scheduled with Gail to conduct Forum business but it was scheduled at the other country clubhouse.  She agreed to switch it to the one where WOW was going to meet which had us where we needed to be after lunch.  I transferred all the Halloween decorations for the party at the nursing home to her car and gave her all the paperwork she needs to make the "powers that be" happy.  I will not be here for the party but I have done all the computer work associated with it.  Of course afterwards, there will be more computer work.  

That being taken care of we both went back in the clubhouse to sign up for the activities we are interested in.  With our in and out schedule I only signed up as a sub for Mahjongg and Shanghai.  That way I am not committed but also can catch an occasional game when in town.  

We are preparing our things to be able to take off Sunday.  Usually that means more interesting posts but not this time.  We are heading to two family weddings, new furniture and a few repairs to the RV.  My nephew messaged me last night and asked me to read the Petitions at the Prayers of the Faithful during his wedding.  I told him I would be honored!


No comments: