Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Long Road Ahead

Our little hurricane refugee seeking shelter under our door decoration!  Be safe Little Frog.


The devastation in Houston is just mind boggling. Something like 200,000 homes are flooded.  In some areas they predict the water will not recede for 2-4 weeks.  So much water fell that it will take that long for it to work its way to the Gulf.  The number of dead continues to rise and I fear as cars and houses are inspected there may be more.  

The response within Texas is heartwarming.  With all the statues and monuments under attack some suggested we erect one to "Average Joe and His Bass Boat - Harvey 2017."  Lots of official first responders are working non-stop but there are way more privately owned boats out there than helicopters in use.  People and supplies are pouring in from all across the nation and Texas truly thanks them all.  Everything is being done to protect them and make their stay as comfortable as possible under such difficult circumstances.


I posted a picture that said "Three things Houston can always count on - Gallery Furniture, HEB and rednecks with boats."  I already addressed the rednecks (that term is a compliment down here - we even have a Redneck Country Club), but Jim McInvale of Gallery furniture is the most philanthropic citizen you will ever meet.  He is always front and center in times of need, or if you walk into his furniture store.  There is food and drink, personal service and your new furniture at your home by end of day.  He opened his 3 stores as shelters and people and the National Guard were sleeping on $12,000 Temperpedic mattresses.  I knew buying them was like buying a used car!  Maybe I can buy one half off now.  Families were gathered in the living room venues just as if they were at home.  Meals were brought in by all different agencies.  He said he will have a Harvey Floor Sample sale when this is all over.  My chance at that mattress!!




HEB rules supreme as Texans' favorite supermarket.  Their semi-truck kitchens on wheels were heading to Rockport and Port Aransas as soon as they could get through.  They have kept their stores open and stocked due to mini-grid energy plans and made monetary donations.  Kroger has a small presence here but no one else even comes close to HEB all across Texas.  



I had a doctor appointment on Thursday for my 11 vial blood donation the week before.  Everything was okay so there is no clear cut reason for my blood clot.  I personally think it was some vascular incident after my hip replacement in Fall 2015.  After that my left leg was always a bit larger in the calf than the other, my ankle swelled more than the other if I had swelling and a new large vein appeared on the very front of my leg.  I started calling it my old lady leg.  The difference was that distinct.  In retrospect I can think of at least four times further investigation by medical persons could have found it.  This is all speculation on my part but I hope it is correct because without a clear cut reason, it is hard to decide how to proceed.

Two questions are:  Do I need to stay on blood thinners forever since we don't really know what caused the clot?  Is it safe to remove the vena cava filter before it can cause an additional problem?  Doctors are divided on this but more say to get it out before a year than those that say to leave it.  And what about a thrombectomy, removal of the DVT?

With the possibility of needing a D&C in November, all doctors advised leaving the filter in place until that is over because I need to come off Eliquis to have it done.  I will also need to come off it to have any more epidural shots.  Decisions, decisions.

Since our 4 day rally camping trip was cancelled we had no plans for the weekend.  We met Gerre and Barry at the movies to see All Saints Friday afternoon.  This is a true story about a new pastor, closing an old country church and Burmese refugees.  No dead bodies, no shoot 'em ups, no preposterous powers!  We all enjoyed it especially the epilogue featuring the real people in Smyrna, TN.  Afterwards we went to Cracker Barrel where we were treated to dinner for watching Tucker for two weeks.

Saturday Ted went to the other gun club to help out.  They were salvaging stock since the building is so damaged it will be torn down and a new one erected on a higher plain.  At Mass, the St. Martha's Society (funeral ladies) was honored at church and we all sat together.  Afterwards we went back to our newly found Mexican restaurant for dinner with Terry and Carol.  Two margaritas is one too many for me.  I could hardly stay awake until we got home.  








No comments: