Thursday, February 6, 2014

In Central Florida

We left Mission on Saturday stopping east of Houston that night, then Slidell LA Sunday night where we had a short visit with Ted's sister-in-law and finally Madison FL for our last night out with Tom and Eileen.  We were less than 50 miles from I-75 where we would turn south and they would continue on I-10 to I-95.  Tom lamented the fact he was going to be on his own to find his way home!  He isn't the first fellow we have traveled with who appreciates my planning and navigation skills, especially when their co-pilot has no interest in reading a map.  

We arrived at our destination for the next month and got settled in.  Kristin came over so we could taste and choose the chocolates to go in the individual boxes placed on the table at the wedding reception.  We nixed the orange and mint flavored ones, too medicinal, and settled on three others.  So there will be two of each.

The next day we took three loads of laundry to Kristin's while she was at work.  Doing one load at a time takes awhile so we spent most of the afternoon there.  Then we met her and Larry at Subway before heading to the Amway Center to see the Magic and Pistons play.  We have lived both places so we couldn't lose but the Pistons played as if they went home after the first quarter.  Basketball games are fun with all the activity and audience participation that goes on.  They give away great prizes too.

Thursday I started cutting and gluing purple and gold strips that are the backdrop of the name cards.  They will have the persons name, table and entrée choice on ivory strips once we have all that figured out.  It will fit into a 6 x 2 inch acrylic frame that will then serve as the frame for people's photo booth pictures they can have taken throughout the night.  That is something new now at all sorts of parties.  I had 80 of 130 finished but had to stop to fix dinner for the three of us.

It was Marriage License day Friday but first we had to stop by the Citrus Club for a check on the details.  We will be able to take the purple table runners, floating candles, table names and name cards (in alphabetical order) to the coordinator the day before.  That was good news.  We are confident they have everything planned well.

I was unable to go to the marriage license office because I had a pic comb in my purse!  Rather than give it up, I waited in the lobby.  I understand they don't want anyone combing someone to death (sarcasm font needed).  We went to lunch at Four Rivers BBQ and I hate to tell you Texas folks but it was the most tender, moist, flavorful brisket I have ever tasted.  I am sure we will go back.

Ted and I took our first dance class that Larry and Kristin purchased for us.  They have taken some classes too and thought it would be fun.  We had a lot of laughs but I'm not sure we accomplished too much.  I don't know if we will have time to get all five of the classes in.  We would like to work on the waltz and two-step but time will tell.  We all came back to the trailer for the evening.

Kristin and I spent the day together on Saturday.  We hit Michael's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's to purchase the card box for the gift table, thank you notes and program blanks.  They come with a template so hopefully we can get the info in easily and get them printed out with no problems.  Having a graphic designer (Kristin) and photographer with great equipment (Larry), they have chosen to do a lot themselves.  

We finished the afternoon at the tailor to get my dress hemmed, then went for a massage for Kristin and a facial for me, another gift from her to me.  We had dinner with Larry's sister at Carrabba's.  The day was long, the wait for a table even longer and we were all starving.  We ate so much bread that everyone took half their meal home.  

Yesterday we went to our old church and I only saw two ladies I know.  The area is really growing and there are many more young families with children.  A SunRail station has been built just south of the city and that will open up this bedroom community of Orlando even more.

We went to Larry's house where there were lots of gifts to be opened and recorded.  They have received 11 place settings of china, all but one hostess set of flatware, and all but six wine glasses
so far.  With two households there was no need for so many things couples usually register for but they will easily have a complete set of formal dining dishes, silverware and crystal.

I continued cutting and gluing the name strips while Kristin set up the template for the info.  To identify entrees to the waitstaff, we have chosen decorative squares for chicken, triangles for fish and circles for beef.  We want to work together when we type in the info to be doubly sure we get the right people at the correct table with their chosen entrée.

At her shower, Kristin asked everyone to write three words for a successful marriage.  Instead of table numbers she used these words to create table names.  She typed these words and I put them into 5 x 7 gold frames then alphabitized them.  We will now fill out the schematic so the coordinator can place the frames on the appropriate table.  All these little details!!

Ted grilled burgers while I made fries and corn on the cob.  Because the kitchen table only seats four and Maureen had stayed over at Larry's, we ate in the dining room.  He said it was the first meal he ate in there.

I was certainly ready for bed when we got home.  This has been a whirlwind.  Sorry about only one photo but I will make up for it.

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth for the other.
Now there is no more loneliness, for each of you will be companion for the other.
Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. 
Go now to your dwelling place to begin the days of your life together.
May your days together be good and long upon the earth.

An Apache Blessing

No comments: