Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Playing Catch Up

We left Wisconsin Dells on Monday morning. All I can say is that the roads are horrific on I-39 in southern Wisconsin. I was afraid to look inside the trailer when we arrived. Sure enough, a kitchen cabinet had popped open, expelled a Corelle bowl, and then closed itself. I'm still finding little white shards in the darnedest places.

We went to Hickory Hollow Campground in Utica, IL. We stopped here on the way out west last year and it was by far the best Passport America park we stayed in so we came back. Our reason for stopping was not only that it was a good travel distance but that our friends from the European riverboat cruises live in Joliet. They had agreed to drive to the park to see us and have dinner.

After our arrival we went to Starved Rock State Park. It has the stone canyons like the Dells. There are also 30 tree trunks carved into art objects but of course I forgot my camera. We went to the Lodge and had their buffet lunch which was very good. Then we went to Buffalo State Park. We had great views of the walls from the overlooks. But the buffaloes were not visible in their pen. On the way home we stopped at August Hill Wineries in Utica to get wine for Tuesday night's dinner.

Tuesday was cleaning, laundry and getting ready for dinner. Having spent a total of almost six weeks with these folks, I know their eating habits and it is usually pretty healthy. So Ted's Skyline Chili just wasn't going to do nor were hamburgers. I made pork tenderloins in au jus in the crockpot, baked a wild rice dish in the outside oven (to keep the RV cool), steamed asparagus on the stovetop and had made cucumbers and key lime pie that were ready in the refrigerator. They must have liked it because there wasn't a lot left.


We had a great visit and were sorry to see them go. They invited us to go on a Panama Canal trip in February but I don't think we will. I thought they were thinking about France in the spring next year but they said the fall. Either way, we are definitely interested in the Paris to Normandy trip. Bob is our "ambassador" and he makes all the arrangements. I'm so used to being "tour director" that it's nice to sit back once in awhile. It's like when we go to Disney, I tell Kara to tell me where to be and when. She has the parks down to a fine science. Our last two trips were over Christmas and we never waited more than 15 minutes to ride anything. What's not to like about that?

Today we moved on to Springfield, IL where we will be checking out the "land of Lincoln." Today is hot so we've stayed close to home. Ted has gone for a drive to find the gun club someone told him is 10 miles down the road. I'm content to just stay inside with the A/C. We (I climbed up on the roof) tried a Wineguard add-on antenna but it would have hung over the roof when retracted so we took it back. Ted says we're getting Direct TV or Dish at home so we can take a receiver on the road with us. He's getting tired of PBS. We've been pretty remote this year (and last) and pickings are slim if the park doesn't have cable. I like to read so it doesn't bother me.

Next up: The Lincoln Library and Museum and whatever else strikes our fancy.

No comments: