Sunday, June 6, 2010

Down on the Farm

I forgot to mention musicians were playing steel drums during dinner at the wedding. It felt like we were setting sail on a cruise. After dinner a DJ took over and all married couples were invited to the dance floor. Then he announced years of marriage and people sat down as he said 5, 10, 15, etc. The two couples left dancing were Karen and Ronnie (51 years) and us (45 years). I don't feel like the "old folks" but I guess we are.

By the time we left the reception we had two invitations for Saturday. But first we went to Sam's to get our supply of goetta (we have two requests from other Cincinnatians to bring some home) and Skyline chili.

Then we drove to Sherry & John's farm to see their newest baby animals and the kids' 4H projects for the fair this year. It is overwhelming to me who doesn't even have a cat anymore because it's too much trouble with our traveling. They have horses, cows, pigs, goats, turkeys, chickens, rabbits, pigeons, llamas and probably something else I'm forgetting. I learned a pig will roll in mud and then shake like a dog who is wet. I have the mud splattered shirt to prove it!

We made a quick stop at home for me to get clean clothes and headed to church. We ran into Kevin and Barb and had a nice chat after Mass. They will be here today with the rest of Ted's family.

Then we headed to Kreimer's Bier Haus to meet Dan & Sue and Joe & Debbie. Now I'm not a sophisticated drinker or much of any kind of drinker for that matter but I had to ask for four different drinks before I found one they had the ingredients for (or knew how to make). I wasn't surprised they didn't know what a mojito was and you need fresh mint so many bars can't do this drink. No brandy for an apricot sour. They had peach schnapps but didn't know how to do a bellini. She finally said "You're in Miamitown, get real." So I hit the jackpot with a Long Island Iced Tea!

We had a great dinner with hot bacon slaw, pretzel bread and potato pancakes. I brought 2/3's of my meal home. Dan insisted on picking up the check instead of letting us split it three ways. We'll get even with him next weekend when we move on to the state park near where he lives. Sue asked if we minded going to their grandson Nolan's first birthday party. It will give us a chance to see all of their family so I picked up a small gift at Sam's for him.

Peg & Dave, Kevin & Barb and Kathy & Mike are due to visit us here in the campground today. The weather is threatening so we may have to do some adjusting to our plans. Wherever we end up gathering, it will be a good time.

Ted continues to look for a new truck. Gullo and Planet Ford waited until the end of the month to call him back ready to deal. He had warned them we were leaving on the 25th and we were in Arkansas when he got those calls. He has been to an Indiana dealer and is now talking to a Michigan one. It will be like buying the RV, when he sees the one he wants at a price he is willing to pay, he'll get it and not before. I'm astounded that these new trucks cost more than any of our first three houses!

Now doesn't that sound just like something an old person would say????

1 comment:

Carol said...

I know what you mean - I just get real nervous when Dan starts talking about a new truck - he really is interested in the new Ford F350 diesel - they are suppose to "have this great new engine" - yeah right!!! Good luck with the truck situation in your house!