Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Didn't Cut or Shoot

The week started off as planned. I played Canasta on Monday. Ted shot in his skeet league on Tuesday and then we took Jeff and Connie to dinner. When Ted went out Wednesday on his way to the men's neighborhood luncheon, he found a crack in his truck's windshield. It had been pretty cold over night and perhaps there was a ding with moisture in it. He used my Expedition and arranged for Milstead to come by and replace the windshield.

Thursday morning I left for the ladies' neighborhood luncheon which was being held at the new home of a former neighbor. They have built a fabulous 5000 sq. ft. house in Wincrest. We had a tour and lovely lunch followed by a short meeting to discuss activities for the rest of the year.

The truck was not in the drive when I got home so I was surprised to find Ted in the office. He said when he left for Sam's to get coffee for the camping weekend (they were borrowing our big coffee pot), he found he had no power steering and no power brakes. Instead of heading south, he went north to the Ford dealership. The shaft of the water pump broke and took out the tensioner, pulleys, belts, etc. with it. It's amazing he made it to Conroe.

So our weekend of camping wasn't looking too good. Ted took the coffee pot up to the campground and told them we might not be able to come. Since the truck was already in for repairs, Ted had some fluids changed and the switch on the passenger door changed out. It never turned the light on when I opened the door, the door ajar light kept staying on and the overhead lights had started staying on a long time before going out. We didn't want to find a dead battery some time down the road.

The truck wasn't ready until about noon on Friday. We hadn't planned on spending $1700 this week on truck repairs but as Robert Burns said "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." It was to be a fairly cold weekend (at least overnight), we were only going for two nights (which I don't really like to do), I was busy cleaning the house and didn't have our food and clothes ready to go. Ted asked if I wanted to go and I said no. I don't think he was happy about that but he accepted it. Now I have over 6 lbs. of chicken legs in my freezer that I'll keep until the next rally I guess. I planned to cook them Saturday and go to the campground for dinner but that wasn't in Ted's plans.

We went to Mass on Saturday and then to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. I wasn't feeling "up to snuff" and had a dull headache. When we got home we kicked the heat up a notch and watched some TV. I told Ted I was glad to be home and not at the campground knowing I had to get up at 7 am to make churh by 8 am and then pack up to come home. He agreed with me.

So today we may ride up and get our coffee pot and any coffee or cups that are left. Here's hoping the truck repairs are ended for a good long while.

No comments: