Monday, August 12, 2019

I Got The Message!

We had been looking at motorhomes and twice came within a hair’s breath of buying one.  They were both 2016 Newmar Ventanas.  The one in Florida just presented too many logistics problems along with timing issues but the one here by home looked promising.  We had made a deal, put $5000 down to hold it until we returned.

We went to see it and found it very nice so we had to have an earnest discussion about parting with that much money on a depreciating asset this late in life.  I had prayed about it and I took it as a good sign when a couple who looked a bit older than us were on the Newmar factory tour and were buying a brand new one.  However, the next day our 68 year old friend who was just retired and was preparing to "head out" after cataract surgery went to bed and never woke up.  Talk about mixed messages!

We have had no debt since 2003 and I didn’t want to start.  But this outlay would take all my liquid "emergency/big ticket items/vacation" money and that made me uncomfortable.  In the end we decided to pass.  Then God sent the reminder.  RV repair, maintenance and tires, balance due on Ireland trip, a new house roof.  And now I am headed for a big dental bill.  Listen up, Lord!  Thank you for showing me we made the right decision but enough is enough.  I got it!  

Saturday we drove to the campground Susan and Tommy were staying in.  They were heading out for a two month trip to Colorado.  We had four Newmar books for them to look at from the factory in case they decide to replace their Allegro bus.  They will both be retired next spring, have time on their side and would get use out of a new unit over the next decade or two.

They had their kitchen faucet replaced but were not getting water.  They had a call into a plumber but Ted crawled around looking to be sure the line was turned on at the manifold and tried to find a problem but couldn’t.  He stood up, pushed the faucet handle sideways, the way ours works, and the water came on.  They had been pushing it back and forth, for hot or cold, versus sideways to turn it on!  We all had a good laugh.

We wished them safe travels and left for church. Afterwards we went to Landry’s for dinner with Terry and Carol.  Our meals were excellent and the only problem was the waitress paired me with Terry and Carol with Ted on the checks.  It only took a few minutes to get it squared away.

By Sunday morning I knew I had a dental problem.  I had two bridges put in sometime in the late 90s.  Several years ago, the back molar on the right side where the bridge was attached gave out.  They had to remove the bridge, remove the root that was left of the molar and made me a partial since I was not a good implant prospect.  Now the front tooth holding the left bridge is hurting big time.  I have a call in to the dentist since today is Sunday and am expecting a similar outcome.  Once again our travel schedule may get in the way.  

No comments: