Monday, January 21, 2019

Busy Weekend

Friday was girls' day at the nail salon.  Eileen, Patricia, Vivian and I availed ourselves of a little pampering.  We were back in time to give Mahjong another try.  I got a mahjong and at least knew where I was headed on the other hands even though the tiles didn't come my way.  On Tuesday I was in left field!  The new 2019 cards come out in March and I will barely have finished learning the 2018.

Shortly after I returned, Niles knocked and told us to come over in a few minutes for a drink.  Six couples gathered under his pergola and had a good time catching up with some good natured bantering going on.  When the group broke up we took Sue and Niles to dinner for all the help they give us when we are here.  We certainly enjoy their company.

Our plan for Saturday was a trip to Mexico to show John, Vivian, Pete and Patricia the ropes on crossing the border.  Eileen and Tom went too.  

We stopped at our first pharmacy to check availability and prices.  Then we moved on to Renee's for coffee, pastries and mariachi live music.

Next up was the leather shops to order a custom holster for a specific gun John owns.  Then we all shopped along the way back to Poncho's bar for a drink before heading to Jessica's for lunch and more drug pricing.  I threw in a dance with one of the waiters!

I spent $400 on meds for three people but we are not done yet.  We will get the rest next time over.  With Trump speaking at 2:00 CST, we wanted to be back across the border before then.  But that didn't happen.  There is now a checkpoint at the boundary on the bridge to keep those without Passports from entering the USA between the boundary and Customs.  Once in, it is a different story.  Maybe everyone had the same thought about the timing, maybe it was just a busy day.  The line stretched all the way to up on the bridge.  

We drove right to church with all eight attending although only four of us attend regularly.  We all enjoyed Fr. Roy's take on the Wedding Feast at Cana.

Card bingo was starting at 6:30 so it was not too long and we were out the door again.  I won a quarter game (39 quarters) so now I have laundromat change.  As soon as the people at the end of the 
street got home, they reported the Border Patrol was in here chasing down illegal crossers.  We had seen the helicopters but they were up pretty high so we didn't realize they had detected activity.  It is a pretty common occurrence anymore.

Sunday I was under the weather.  I just stayed home and Ted went shooting.  I felt better Monday morning.

Ted was being picked up by Mark to start the distribution of about 140 $50 HEB grocery cards to give to our Border Patrol.  They are doing a thankless job without pay!  Tom suggested we do something, Ted and Niles talked and came up with the gift card idea.  By the end of the weekend they had $7000 and not all from down here!  The officers have been so grateful!  I remember the days when a late paycheck would have been a catastrophe let alone not knowing when there would be a paycheck!

It isn't much, but it is something and they all know we have their backs and appreciate their efforts.  If you want to find a group knee deep in this situation regarding a wall, these officers are definitely for it.  Ted came upon one agent and couldn't figure out what all the gyrations in the car was.  Turns out he was changing clothes after crawling around in the mud of the sugar cane fields that morning.  Like I said, right now the job is thankless.

I stayed home to get things done and was interrupted twice.  Once by Norm who was looking for Ted to go to Academy.  Norm was taking Richard who can no longer drive and I think Norm was thinking "safety in numbers."  Next was Mimi reminding me we have a bakers' meeting Tuesday morning about what finger foods we plan to prepare for the fashion show to benefit the elementary school in this area.  Last year we bought coats to have at school for when a child arrived in cold weather without one.  Recently a group went to the "ropas" to search the clothes mountain for used coats.  Many get donated because they are not needed here too frequently.  And I was put on the list to model!

Eventually I went to the laundromat and while standing at the dryer watched an elderly gentleman try to figure out how to make the dryer go.  I told him to insert the quarters, choose the upper or lower dryer buttons, push heat temp then Start.  The lady with him, who later said they help each other out so must not be married, whispered to him, "I told you someone would help us and she did!"

I am feeling so blessed down here with all the things going on that ultimately help someone.  We enjoy the shows, playing card bingo, playing mahjong, partying, etc. but volunteering and helping out makes me happiest!



No comments: