Sunday, April 8, 2018

NOW It Is Two Weeks To Takeoff

We actually had three weeks at home before leaving again and then we were down to two!  I guess it just felt like I only had two because so much needed to be done.  I am pretty much caught up and have a busy week ahead.

We did have brunch at the country club Easter Sunday after church and it was very well done with delicious food.  Everyone went home to change clothes and then met up to play cards.  My dimes cooled off and I didn't win.  Shanghai is not easy to play with six players but it is doable.  We all had fun and that was our main objective.

Monday I took it easy.  Ted had an opthamology appointment and the doctor said he is about six months from cataract surgery.  His glasses have been driving him crazy because he can see distance better without them but needs them for reading.  It isn't unusual for your eyes to change, even improving, as a cataract develops so I suspected this might be the diagnosis.  When he returned, I went to the nail salon, another new one.  They did okay.  Now to see how it lasts.  

Ted went to the pistol range with Terry on Tuesday, senior day.  Later that afternoon he shot Sporting Clays with his buddies.  I shredded my papers, did my normal straightening up and cleaned and polished the wood floors.  Now just the filing remains!

Since Ted needs his annual endoscopy and now cataract surgery and I need my vena cava filter removed,  I suggested we put all summer travel plans on hold until we get this stuff lined up.  I think he would do better in the October Championships in San Antonio if he had his cataract removed before.  With only one eye I know how apprehensive he is so maybe that carrot of shooting better will help ease that anxiety.  With the 9/14 departure for Greece and the shooting competition the end of October, it seems late in August would be the best time.  My minor surgery will probably get scheduled for the first part of May when we return from Michigan.  

Wednesday I played mahjong with Gerre's group.  Jennifer and Betty picked me up and we stopped at Subway on the way.  We ate our lunch and then played about 8 games.  I did win one but Betty was smoking the tiles with four wins.  Gerre won two, the wall one, while Jennifer was shut out.  They all proclaimed me up to speed on playing.  

Ted wanted to go to Dickie's BBQ for dinner so we headed that way only to find it moved out!  So we went on to Denny's.  We had to watch Survivor on the DVR because we got back so late.

I was up early Thursday to leave by 8:30 for the nursing home Spring Fling party.  Gail did a great job on the decorations, all in pastel colors.  Entertainment was provided by the Salvation Army Harbor Light choir and the residents, who are a tough crowd, really got into the music.  One resident was dancing with an aide and another lady got out of her wheelchair to cut a rug in place.  We had lots of "help" come into the room to listen too.  It was a great send off for the year.  


We turn everything over to the next Chairs in May.  I have a little while to get it together.  There is a book of instructions and boxes of decorations to be sorted and packed.  Gail and I will be happy to get rid of all those boxes.  We picked up my car in late afternoon after coughing up $2200 for repairs!

I was up early again on Friday and left by 8:15.  I had to attend a Board of Directors meeting for my volunteer group.  The Service Committee did not have a quorum so their unfinished business had to be  resolved by the board.  We had six programs that were being scrutinized.  I had a hair appointment so while they were discussing #4, I snuck out.  I knew #6 would also evoke a lot of comments and I am too busy before we leave to not keep my haircut appointment.  It would be another 2.5 weeks to wait otherwise.  

After a bit of lunch, I headed into my office.  I ordered the wedding gift for Ted's nephew and sent the RSVP with our regrets.  I signed and stamped Ted's brother Tom's 80th birthday card.  I paid the annual RV insurance premium, the lawn service bill and sent my RSVP for the Forum installation luncheon.  I filled out the reimbursement forms  for both Gail and me to be reimbursed for our expenditures.  And I wrote a letter to my cousin that had sent us an Easter card and letter.  I worked on one Forum book and got it in order, but I have a second one that is in very messy shape.  It is the one Gail worked out of so I am not even sure what is in there!  

Ted came home from working a charity outing at the gun club and we took the Lexus back to Terry.  We were so grateful it worked out so I didn't have to rent one.  I do have a $40 per day rental benefit but this was so convenient with no paperwork.  Ted fixed dinner and I cleaned up before finally sitting down.  

Saturday Ted worked an FAA Youth Shoot at the gun club, I ran a few errands and sorted, tossed and repacked the nursing home party supplies.  Now I just have to learn who I need to give them to.


And by 5:00 we were on the road to the west side of town for rhe CWJF Boots and Bling Gala.



There were many outside things to do but it was too cold to enjoy them to the fullest - a bourbon and stogies bar, mechanical bull, cornhole, Giant Jenga, etc.  Most of us stayed inside the Big Barn that was heated, enjoying delicious appetizers and an open bar.  It was underwritten by our tablemates Diane and Nick of Come From Away fame.  I bid on the Silent Auction but lost.  There was a Big Board auction but nothing of interest to us at this time.  There was a paddle auction but I didn't dare raise my paddle for those.   Masters Weekend, CMA Nashville weekend, Disney World Week,  Alaskan cruise, Alaskan Floatplane Fishing Trip, etc.  The heavy hitters run these things way up!  God bless them for
supporting our efforts to make a difference in the lives of children and seniors.  It was a terrific evening!








No comments: