Friday, September 14, 2012

Finally A Little Rain

It has been very dry since our return but the last few days we have had showers and occasionally a downpour that didn't last long. The temps are coming down into the 80s and that is a welcome relief. I think we came home a few weeks too early this year.

I had a most enjoyable day shopping and having lunch with my friend Jody. I bought a few pieces of costume jewelry for our cruise but she didn't buy anything. The artificial plants we went for were unavailable so I bought something else. Now I need two more of them! Nothing is ever easy.

Our neighborhood ladies luncheon was nice on Thursday. Ted had gone with the fellows on Wednesday before he left for Columbus. So we are caught up on the news.

Today I will buy my fall hanging plants (my version of gardening) and shop for the food I will serve at bunco here on Monday.

I again went over all my documentation on the family tree starting with my great-great-great grandfather Henry Linfert who was born in Prussia in 1833. His daughter Elizabeth was my great-great grandmother and her son Joseph was my great-grandfather. I knew him and his wife Pearl, parents of my grandmother Lucille.

I knew four of my great grandparents and all four of my grandparents. My daughter Kelly had 10 grandparents alive when she was born - four grandparents and six great-grandparents. There has been one 5-generation line in Ted's family. With people waiting to get married and waiting even longer to have children, this will happen less and less.

The family is the most basic unit of government. As the first community to which a person is attached and the first authority under which a person learns to live, the family establishes society's most basic values.




No comments: