Sunday, August 3, 2008

Last Weekend Before Taking Off

I worked at church on Thursday for the funeral luncheon. I always think of the gospel of the loaves and fishes when we do this. We always fret about quantity (never quality!) of the food being brought and our biggest chore turns out to be what to do with the leftovers. Jesus just had them gather it in baskets. We use GladWare! The nursing home and fire station across the street are the usual beneficiaries.

At home I changed clothes and we were off to Trivia Night at the country club. They had a wonderful buffet dinner and we all had a drink. There were 8 at our table - Terry, Carol, Jody, Dave, us and a new couple named Margaret and Murray that we had never met. First objective was to pick a name for our team. We chose "The Bucket Listers." We won that prize beating out Woodlands Warriors, Rainbow Unicorns and Oldies but Goodies. Good choice on the judges part I think. Our prize was a wine tasting for our table.

Then on to the questions. We were doing really well with questions on all kinds of subjects. There were 4 or 5 groupings and then that part would be tallied. I hit it big on the last question "which six flags have flown over Texas." Well ... I know my Texas history and answered that one in no time - Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederacy and the Stars and Stripes. 60 points!! Alas, we lost by one point.

But wait ... Terry noticed one of our groupings was added wrong. We had 10 points, not 8 ... we had won by one point not lost. The winning table just walked out with their gift certificates saying "is that so?" Bah humbug.

So the club gave each of us ladies a 14 ct. gold chain with The Woodlands insignia pine cone (also in gold) on it and the fellows a carrying pouch with The Woodlands Country Club embroidered on it. It is great for holding all the papers I carry with us when we travel for long periods. Now we have learned our friend from the other table is saying they won. We're willing to let them keep their gift certificates but not bragging rights. He'll hear from all of us about that. LOL. It was a fun night and will give us something to rib Joe and Linda about for a long time.

Friday was the "Take a Trip to India" party at our friends whose daughter spent a year there on a Fulbright Scholarship. Her mother joined her recently for a two week stay. The house was decorated with photos, fabrics, books, wall hangings, clothing, etc. They were all dressed in their Indian garb. The food was prepared by an Indian gentleman. I liked everything I tasted but some of it was HOT!!! There is a yogurt cucumber dip you have to use to calm down the heat. And Sue Anne made cookies shaped like elephants. They are always good. Afterwards we went with Terry, Carol, Susan and Vince to the Eden Cafe for dinner. It was about 9 o'clock when we got home.

Ted went shooting the next day and I attended the Seniors meeting at church. I walked in carrying tablecloths I had laundered from the funeral and a lady took them from me and started to cover the Fellowship Hall tables. I had to stop her and take them to the room we use for funerals. I can see how easy it is to have something for your ministry, and then not have it.

A Fife and Drum corp entertained us and there was a dramatic account of the battle of Shiloh. Having just been to Vicksburg, I was very interested in this and really enjoyed it. They are going to Crighton Theater in Conroe in September to see the Buddy Holly Story so I bought six tickets for us, Terry & Carol and Jody & Dave. We saw "A Christmas Story" there and they did a great job. Hope this one is equally as good.

A surprise "going away" (7.5 miles) was held for Terry & Carol in their old neighborhood. They will be moving into their new house mid-August. We all pulled it off and they were speechless. It was a great party with Ginger's son serving as an outstanding bartender. Again there was more food than you can imagine. I have lots of spinach dip, bread and vegetables in the fridge now. Too bad it's too hot (in the 100s recently) to make vegetable soup.

Ted is golfing with Terry today. I need to start gathering our things to take to the RV. We are leaving Tuesday for Beaumont. Ted will call on Dow Jones that evening. Our stop Wednesday will be Slidell. We have invited Ted's deceased brother's family for dinner. We should make Santa Rosa Beach, FL on Thursday. My family won't arrive until Sunday for their week stay.

I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have but I'll keep my journal going in Word on a daily basis and then copy it into the blog when I can. Keep cool!

1 comment:

Rick and Brenda said...

ya'll have a safe trip and enjoy your family, we cerainly have while we have been here. We are leaving memphis on Tuesday, but we are headed north.