Friday, February 2, 2024

Our Time is Running Out

Friday’s weather was ok, not the normal temps but dry and not windy.  We had breakfast at the motel which was very nice then went to Bentsen State Park to check out a restaurant that has opened recently.  It was small with a limited menu but a pretty nice one beyond your fast food fare.  We didn’t eat there but drove into Retama to visit a few friends.  

Patty and Steve were our neighbors for several years so we stopped there.  They had just returned from the doctor and were ready to have lunch.  She is having a lot of health issues so after a short visit we headed to Marissa and Steve’s.  But they were not home and we thought they may have left for Nebraska because I think they came down only to pick up their motorhome.  She had been at breakfast and said Steve had fallen out of a tree and needed some surgery plus the chain saw hit him in the face!

Emily said Norm was at their place at Green Gate where he stores their 43 foot motorhome and has a workshop so we headed that way.  After that we returned to the motel for the rest of the afternoon.  Had the weather been better, people would have been outside and we would have seen many more.  

Saturday we checked back with Marissa and Steve and they had not returned home to Nebraska.  It is always interesting to visit with them.  Steve is a pilot and farmer. They own extensive land and all their children work in the businesses.  

We chose Mama Mia’s for dinner and laughed about the time we went there with Tom and Eileen for her birthday.  I had bought a cake so when it was time to sing I borrowed balloons from the birthday party next to us to have them in the photo.  I asked the birthday boy first and he seemed flustered and said “well, ok, I guess!”

It was time for card bingo so we returned to Bentsen Palms to meet Ornell, Faith and Rick.  You need groups of four and we were 5.  Luckily Beverly from Retama came in with two friends and Ornell recognized her.  5 + 3 = 8 and we were all set!  Over 100 people were playing so the pots were big!  But none of us won!  

Saturday we started getting our things sorted out.  Ted bought a big plastic bin to put all the things we purchased in because there were just too many bags!  We went to church with Fr. Roy and met the bingo group.  After Mass we all went to Danny’s Mexican.  We were going to a show at Mission West but none of the others were interested so we went alone.  We had seen this young lady before and she puts on a great show.

Sunday found us heading north to home.  We arrived mid afternoon.  We emptied the car but just put our feet up because Monday was a “”free” day and we had all day to get organized.  I actually had Tuesday free too except to do three loads of laundry.  I had invited Irene and John for dinner on Wednesday.  They are still not finished with all their renovating.  I think everyone enjoyed the food.  All plates were eligible for the clean plate club and John had seconds!

I made a BIG mistake!  I signed up for a Chair Yoga class.  Oh my!  After my second hip surgery I took classes with no problem.  My back is still killing me!  Our weekend was quiet.  Had dinner after church and came right home.  

Anna, my new neighbor next door, and I went to lunch Tuesday at a new restaurant, Rise Soufflé!  I had French onion soup, ham and cheese soufflé (it was written in French so I told the waitress I couldn’t pronounce it but I could translate it), and raspberry soufflé for dessert!  I enjoyed it but I doubt I would ever get Ted to eat there.

Thursday was Continental Breakfast for the Newcomers group so I signed up to attend.  There were 50 ladies in attendance.  I saw many friends and met a few new ones.  It sometimes is an effort to “get up, dress up, show up” but I am usually glad I made the effort.  This was one of those times!

I continue to clean out closets, cabinets and drawers.  My bad back has slowed me down.  It will be March before it all gets picked up by TX Paralyzed Vets.  I didn’t get the bags out quick enough in January, we are gone in February so hopefully I will get my act together for March!

We are heading out Wednesday the 7th, planning to arrive at Kristin’s in Winter Springs the next day.  We will be there until the 11th when we meet up with Tom and Eileen (from Palm Coast) for 3 nights at Tuscany Village Resort in Orlando then moving on to a condo with all 3 girls and spouses for a week.  When we leave there on the 21st, our next stop will be Destin, FL as we head for home.  Ted’s youngest brother has invited us to spend time at their beach rental.  Our plans are to spend 4 nights then head for home!


I will try to do better in keeping my posts current and shorter!  




,  

No comments: