Monday, March 6, 2023

Wrapping It Up

We were invited for fajitas at Sue and Nile’s house on Thursday.  They were kind enough to switch it from Wednesday when we declined the invitation because of Ash Wednesday and we would not be able to eat meat.  The lady starting with dementia across the street who lost her husband Christmas Eve was there with her daughter and son in law who are trying to wrap up her affairs.  I’m not quite sure what the long term plans are for her.  Jim and Karen did not come because they both had colds.  

With Bill and Ornell gone, we attended church alone but picked up Jay and Stella afterwards to have dinner at Golden Chick and then attend a show at their park.  It just so happened they had a group of 20 people coming and had reserved four tables.  It worked out well for us.  Piano Man put on a very good show.  

Stella’s birthday was this week so the same group went to Dirty Al’s for dinner on Sunday.  I chose not to play mahjong so I could clean the RV and do some laundry and we could leave at 3:30 to get to the restaurant in time.  We had a chicken and fish botana and brought five chicken tenders home.  I have been using them as snacks in lieu of lunch!  

Other friends Don and Trudy who were unable to come for the season have come down from Nacogdoches for a visit.  Ted took Don to sporting clays in Edinburg on Monday and Trudy picked me up for some shopping.  I had been wanting to go to Sketchers and finally made it.  I bought two pairs for the summer and all our travels.  Then we went to the new boutique opened nearby by the gal who owns Lionel’s.  She always was 1/3 of the Retama fashion shows for years.  The other two have gone out of business and taking different routes while Sandy opened her second shop.  I bought a bright, cheerful yellow blouse for my cruise in May!  That evening we went to BJ’s with them and Karen and Dave.  

It was back to the dentist on Tuesday.  We left at 8:00 and we were back home about 11:15.  Considering it is over a half hour to drive there, we hit a traffic jam of a semi on fire, and I had 2 fillings taken care of, that timing was amazing.  The Customs officer asked me what I was taking back and I said “two fillings.” He waved me on!  Recently at home I had a root canal with a temporary filling ($1300).  Then I paid my Dentist $200 to put a permanent filling in.  Down here I had a cleaning, check up, photos, panorama X-ray and two fillings for $250.  Ted’s cleaning was $40.  

It was a low key day Wednesday  I bought hair coloring in Mexico simply because it was there  I chose based on photo and number because the description was in Spanish  and so were the instructions!  No bilingual here!  Good thing I knew how to use it and the color turned out ok.  Then I got my hair cut!  

Thursday was ladies’ breakfast again and a good sized group turned out - close to 20!  I rode with Mimi and Mary since Sharon and Marisa were not going.  I offered to drive!

To send Trudy and Don off, we went to 492 BBQ with them and Mimi and Jim.  Everyone enjoyed their food and fellowship until it was time to say goodbye.  They will not return to Retama as season renters anymore. We will miss them.  

We attempted to attend the fish fry at Mission West on Friday but as we got out of the car ladies exiting the hall said they were all out of fish!  So a nearby Whataburger had a Whatacatch sandwich for Lent so that had to do. But it was good!

The season is ending and the entertainers are heading back to Branson so we went to card bingo next door instead of a show after church and dinner.  Ted got down to one card twice, I never moved.  

I played mahjong on Sunday then we went to the Pizzaria at Niles’ request.  We are now down to a dozen days until we head for home.

We are getting requests about the RV but the first have been dealers, consignment companies and scammers.  We are being extremely careful and have learned that an escrow at our brokerage firm to receive funds send the crooks on their way.  We are in no hurry and have decided if the right deal does not come along we will simply use it this summer and re-evaluate our winter plans in the fall.  



No comments: