Wednesday, February 23, 2022

And the Waiting Continues

I call it waiting, they call it healing.  Actually it is both.  I felt much better after the last drain was removed and that area is healing now.  I still have swelling and a hard "lump" at the end of my incision that they are watching.  We have to send a photo of it in two weeks to compare to the first one taken.  Hematoma was mentioned but I don’t think that would be hard.  Cording is something they are watching for and I have been doing stretching exercises 3 times a day.  Always something!

We have done a lot of just sitting around worrying about dinner!  It is always the big question of the day.  I declared tonight to be "fend for yourself" wherein anything in the refrigerator is up for grabs.  Fill your plate, microwave it and you will be filled and the refrigerator emptied!  I used this periodically when working with a family of 5!  

We did go to dinner this past week at the outdoor patio Mexican restaurant. Kara and Bill went there and Kristin thought it a good idea to spend Margarita World Day sipping one of theirs.  This created more leftovers!  

Kristin and I went to the nail salon Wednesday and this morning we had a Zoom second opinion meeting with an oncologist available to Kara through an employ benefit from her company.  We had the mastectomy pathology with the recommendation, BMO - endocrine therapy.  We asked what BMO meant since we found a dozen acronyms using these letters.  He said this is the Tumor Board’s recommendation to the Breast Medical Oncologist - prescribe the Arimidex (or similar) and nothing more!!!  He said he agrees with this with the suggestion I get a bone density test and then have Boneva or something similar to protect my bones.  

We were stunned but he said I should never get chemo from anyone for a 1.3 mm tumor following a mastectomy with no lymph node involvement.  We have decided we will go next Thursday to see what she is recommending now that all the pathology is in, my blood clot/Eliquis situation is specifically brought to her attention and see if she has changed her mind.  If so, without documentation to back up her recommendation, we will seek a third opinion.  

Friday evening we went to Olive Garden to use a gift card from my sister Laurie.  It was Kristin’s last evening so it was fitting to use the last gift card.  They also have the $5 Take Home Meal so we bought three for the freezer.    She got off late morning in Saturday and will stop as close to Florida as she can get today.  She went north to 105 to take that to Beaumont and not deal with I-10 out of Houston.  She came in that way too when I-10 was closed in Beaumont and liked the quiet country route.  She arrived home safely on Sunday afternoon.  It was the first we have been alone in over a month.  




No comments: