Saturday, August 8, 2020

Last Day in Kentucky

 We decided to visit The Railroad Museum in Bowling Green before leaving.  I have never ridden overnight on a train.  When we lived in Detroit we would take the train from Windsor to Toronto and there have been trips in Europe most notably Cologne to Dusseldorf and Paris to Normandy.  But I never went to sleep to the clickity-clack of the wheels.

I lost my flyer so I will be short on some information.  But I took photos and they will have to tell the story but here goes.

This line started as the Louisville to Bowling Green line and eventually expanded to Nashville.  It was doing well until the Civil War when one city ended up in the Union, the other in the Confederacy.  Eventually they were both in the Confederacy but the quarreling had taken its toll.  Today the tracks are used by the CRX line and they make no stops at the station anymore.  

The outside of the station.

We walked through First, Second and Third class cars.  I could travel in any of them but the beds make RVs look like the Ritz in size.  


The Dining Car has separate classes but the tables were all the same, but the food was different.

Of interest to me was the mail car.  We learned about the hooks the mail was hung on outside and would be grabbed by hooks as the train sped by.  When it didn’t work and shredded mail went floating, they reported they had a snowstorm!  

There were pigeon holes and bins, with all the mail being sorted by hand.  Guards would travel in the mail car because there really were train robberies.  


No comments: