Thursday, January 14, 2021

Sad Week for Our Country

 It has been a sad, sad week for our country.  I wish we could wipe out the whole sordid mess and start over with all new people.  I am glad I am as old as I am.  The future of the USA looks so rocky and heading in a direction that doesn’t suit me.  I admit I cling to my gun and my Bible.  Enough on that.

It has been cold here so the little we can do isn’t being done except for mahjong.  Somehow the residents we play with received permission for us to play in the clubhouse, no more than 5 to a room.  Only four players can play so we just use two rooms!  We can play with 3 or 4, but not 5.  It is working out.

We visited in Eileen’s motorhome one afternoon when it was warm enough to walk down.  I fixed smoked sausage and sauerkraut one night for dinner and lasagna another.  Other than people stopping to chat while taking walks, not much else goes on.  

Many are getting their first vaccine shots.  We are in no hurry.  I will wait patiently to see if any side effects crop up.  I remember too well the thalidomide babies and see the commercials on lawsuits for so many prescription meds.  Ted could have so easily been prescribed Zantac for his Barrett’s but thank God he was not.  We also still think we had the virus early last February and just happened to take Z PAC, zinc and Vitamin D for two weeks.  After Ted’s two weeks, I started and had it for two weeks.  Our thoughts were reinforced when donated blood November a year ago has shown antibodies.  One of the states where this was found was Michigan where we spent Thanksgiving that year.  So who knows?  All of life is a crap shoot.  

Our weather is finally returning to normal.  They are washing and waxing our MH and Ted’s Expedition.  It needs it whereas my Jeep Summit has hardly been out of the drive since I haven’t gone hardly anywhere without Ted.  

Our vehicles are all nice and clean and shiny.  Tom had his done on Friday while we all went to Mexico.  With the caravans heading this way, we wanted to be sure to not face the border shutting down before we had all the meds we need for this year.  Ted needed some more eyedrops and the analgesic cream he puts on his back and hands.  We haven’t spent anytime drinking or dancing so if things go well, we will try to get a few fun trips in.

Saturday we went to church as usual, visited a food truck venue but ended up at Ranch Burgers for dinner.  We finished off the evening playing Mexican Train and I lost!  

Ted went to Mission Skeet Club Sunday and I played mahjong where I won two games.  Ted had the grill going when I got home so he put the steaks from Aguilar Meats on while I baked potatoes, Texas Toast and sliced cucumbers.  Tom and Eileen brought pork chops and salad down and we all ate out in the coach house.  The steaks were very good.  We have been pleased with the meat market buys.  

I had ordered a runner to put in front of the couch to pull the LR together. My biggest hang up with finding a motorhome was the blending of areas. I wanted a LR, kitchen, BR plus bath and a half.  So many have table and chairs in the LR and an L couch where you have to sit next to each other vs. facing each other enough to look at people while visiting.  I think it looks good.

We have the captain chairs turned around so we have comfortable seating for 6.  The two kitchen chairs can be set at the other end to seat 2 more. Our big TV is behind the couch and stores down behind it on a televator.  We both can sit in our Barco Loungers and watch it.  But if I want to lay on the couch and watch I can turn on the TV above the captain chairs.  Some evenings we both watch the same thing on different TVs!  

I hope everyone is staying warm and well.  If you are anxious to get the vaccine, I hope you are successful.  People over 65 are getting it down here with a fair amount of ease.  I have read of others at home who have gotten the first one also!  Good luck!  


No comments: