Wednesday, October 21, 2020

A Week in San Antonio

We voted Friday, waiting in the rain.  The whole thing took about 30 minutes.  With that out of the way we returned home to find the workers stopping for the day on the deck.  It was raining too hard to make any progress.  We have since been told it is finished.  I have only paid for half so we will see it when we return.

Our drive out was uneventful and we went right to the National Shooting Center to meet up with the others who arrived the day before.  Ted got registered and all his paperwork done and eventually we all went home to eat after a stop at HEB.  Sunday we toured around this area stopping to feed the ducks on the Guadalupe River.  


Monday was the K Cup and when Ted checked he was 4th so not in the money in that one.  Tuesday was the Super  Sport.  It was windy as all get out and many of the targets super high.  Scores were low so nothing happening there either!


After shooting we went looking for the golden Clay bird for a contest.  We were scouring the skeet field based on the clues but found nothing.  I sat down at a table to wait for Ted and got up to follow him to the car when something bit my calf.  I looked and there were two streams of blood already two inches long and a droplet of white milky stuff.  I wiped it off with Ted’s handkerchief to expose two puncture wounds.  We both said the same thing "snake bite."

We went to First Aid where they cleaned it, drew a circle around it to watch for changes and put a bandage on it.  Then we went to the ER.  My BP was the only bad thing they found. It shot up to almost 190 and my leg was a little swollen.  They gave me Benedryl and watched me for several hours and once my BP came down, they discharged me.  The doctor indicated it was probably a non venomous snake, a dry bite or the white milky stuff was venom but did not get injected into my leg by a juvenile who has not yet learned to control his venom.    Praise God for looking after me!


Wednesday was a day off and we all kicked back to relax.  We hung around the house until it was time to leave for the 11th Street Cowboy Bar in Bandera, TX, Cowboy Capitol of the world.  We bought steaks and chicken to cook on their big grills and we all purchased a "plate" of salad, baked potato and roll to go with the grilled meat.  This is Dale and Rob cooking our meat.


The other grill being used. 

Afterwards there was two stepping the night away with many rounds of drinks before heading home.






My leg was pretty swollen from the drinking and the dancing so I bought Benedryl as the hospital advised and it helped a lot.  Thursday was another day of shooting and Ted and I left to have dinner and get me home to put my leg up.  

Friday my leg looked perfect.  The two puncture wounds are still red but there are no signs of infection and no pain.  We girls went shopping and I held my own.  We shopped at Chico, Cabi, Coach, Clark’s, etc. stopping at a Target for things we needed and then on to JCP.  By then my back hurt and I can shop there at home so I waited in the car and answered a few emails.  

Saturday we all gathered at the National Shooting Center to watch Kathy and Amanda shoot in the ladies group.  They both did well and Amanda is in good position in the Ladies Main that completes on Sunday.  Normally this would be “big party” day but no large gatherings are allowed so recognitions, prizes, and the silent auction were conducted to an empty clubhouse and patio.  Ted and I left the group to attend Mass across the street then we all left for one last dinner out in New Braunfels.

Everyone but me went to the Center for one last day of shooting on Sunday.  Ted came in second in his class and age group, Super Senior Vet but I call it the “really old guys.”  Amanda won 50 Bird Lady Open in B Class with a score of 45.


Meanwhile, a great friend, Sandy, who has moved to New Braunfels, picked me up and we went to see her new home on property that has been in her family for decades.  Her husband died in his sleep last July and she returned from Houston back to the Hill Country to be near family.  It has been a long, hard, arduous journey for her.  She so wanted visitors and I was only her second one. I was so happy we both took the time for the visit.

When Sandy dropped me off, Rob and Amanda had returned and were getting ready to leave so I bid them farewell.  I packed up our things and moved them to the drive, stripped the bed and emptied the trash from our cabin.  As soon as Ted returned, we took off.  We arrived home a little before 6:00 and got our first look at the deck.  It looks great but there is one board on top of the rail that will have to be replaced before I give him the rest of the money.  It is damaged on the edge and is not flat so sticks up against the next board.  Not acceptable!

I am aggravated with his workers and will tell him so once the board is fixed.  I had used plastic table cloths to cover their saws one night when they called and asked me to cover them as rain was predicted.  I found them wadded up in the mud.  A yard ornament was broken, chunks of wood are in the grass and the area where they worked now has no grass.  Add this to the need for me to tell them they can use the F word around their mothers and wives if they don’t mind but not me in my own home.  Very unprofessional.




No comments: