Thursday, October 6, 2022

Birthday Weeks

Ted’s birthday was last Tuesday.  He turned 78!  That beautiful young boy I met in 1960 has turned into an elderly, polite gentleman I am so proud to be married to.  It will be 58 years next April.  We chose to go to Saltgrass for dinner because we have a Landry’s card and the birthday reward is only good for a set period.

On Monday we had a fence builder over on a friend’s recommendation and he will be replacing our back fence but not the two extensions that reach our neighbor’s corners.  The owner of the house for sale was adamant he didn’t want to do anything to the  “good neighbor fence” and the other side said do whatever and let me know what I owe.  Zack said from a strength standpoint, both sides are still sturdy.  The back is rotting after 20 years so it is time.  He will get back to us when he is ready to start.  

Wednesday I was glued to The Weather Channel.  Our daughter Kristin lives in Orlando, my sister in Punta Gorda, a brother with a winter place in Fort Myers and friends we just spent time with in Alabama who also live in Fort Myers.  My sister has a tree through her roof, my brother’s car was floating on the ground floor below his condo, Kristin had wind and rain with some flooding in the streets but she did not even lose power.  I have been unable to reach our friends and am getting terribly worried.

Being up most of the night I was tired and not feeling well so skipped my class.  I tried to join the Zoom Class but you need to get the password to join beforehand.  I was bummed.  I really wanted to hear the lecture and what the second lawyer had to say.  I should get a copy of the lecture via email.

I am working on what we will do while Steve and Keith are here.  They arrive in Galveston at the end of the month by cruise ship.  They will be with us from Thursday until Tuesday morning when they will fly out of IAH for home in Connecticut.  It has been several years since they have been here when we docked in Galveston after a trans Atlantic 16 day cruise. 

We did hear from our Fort Myers friends.  They were unable to get to her sister because of the water surge.  They had no water inside but lots of trees down.  They were without power and cell service.  Their motorhome was locked in outside storage, got flooded, and is “trashed.”  Their daughter and family are coming to help them clean up.  Luckier than most!  Prayers answered!

We had to skip Communion for our neighbors as they entered their second week of Covid.  He is 90 and slipping.  She is late 70s and does fine.  Their son came from NC to visit and I am sure to assess the situation.

We went to Maggiano’s with Tommy and Susan for a late lunch for her and my birthday on Monday.  Then later on we went to Minute Maid park to see the Astros LOSE!  We did get Dusty Baker AL championship rings.  Wish I had grandsons who would like them.  One real one was given away.




No comments: