Thursday, October 13, 2022

Aching Has Started

One of the side effects of my endocrine therapy is joint pain.  My hips and back have started just that.  It is not like an excruciating nerve pinched pain, but rather a stiffness, sore muscle type.  It mostly bothers me when I drop something.  I stop to consider “do I really need to pick that up” and getting off the couch.  I am like an origami unfolding itself.  Once up and moving I am ok.  I will try to deal with this with Tylenol Arthritis pills and Ted’s Voltaren back cream.  I have an appointment for a mammogram and dr visit the end of November and hopefully I can deal with this until then.  I think Dr. O may want to try one of the other pills.  I think there are about 5.  I HAVE to take them for 5 years so there is plenty of time to keep trying different things.  

I did go to the dermatologist to have the clogged cyst removed that two different nurses noticed on my back.  Dr. W said I have a lot of “normal” things but none are cancer.  Come back in a year.  I think retirement is just a transition to becoming a professional patient!

My birthday fell on our regularly scheduled Shanghai card game and dinner at the country club.  My total (you want low) for games 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 was 5 points.  My total from not getting down in game 5 was 134!  Victory snatched from the hands of the birthday girl!


I visited with a friend who had surgery on Wednesday while her husband attended to some business things.  Thursday was my last class in Legacy and Estate Planning.  I came home with a whole sheet of follow up I hadn’t even thought about!  I reached out to the lawyer who spoke to us and agreed to drop off our 20 year old legal documents for her perusal.  The biggest thing is appointing a Successor Trustee.  One  is mentioned, but no one was named.  All the information for us and the children was out of date.  One marriage, one divorce and a whole lot of moving around needs info updated.  

We got our new fence on Friday.  This young man is a glowing example of an entrepreneur!  He is just approaching graduation from A&M and has an efficiently run business already.  He stayed in contact with me every step of the way.  He had the gas, electric and cable people out to mark the yard before I even knew it.  And right behind them came the workers and the boards!  He ground the stump from the tree we had cut down and will return to talk landscaping for the two corners of the yard!  

Up next is the kitchen cabinets decision on what to do if anything.  Apparently red oak is passé and dates your decor.  They are 20 years old and can be colored to blend better with the floor so we will see.  They look fine so it is not something I am totally sold on.  

Our weekend was quiet, nothing special going on.  Monday was Canasta and because we played 5 individuals instead of partners, we didn’t keep score so no one won.  We mostly talked a lot though.

Tuesday was 3-13 and Shirley won.  Out of 20 rounds, she knocked 11 times, several times right out of the chute!  That means she had 0 points and we had whatever was left in our hands.  We play 3 to king, then reverse back to 3.  We try to time lunch in the middle.  We were all the way back to 5 or 6 when we ate and were out the door while the other tables were just making the turn.  

The Astros are in the playoffs and the first game started off lousy!  By the time the Mariners were a good bit ahead we turned it off.  Imagine our surprise when after dinner we learned they won in a walk off home run!   

Wednesday I went on a CWJF Sustainers Outing.  We are those who served 10 years and no longer have “work” requirements but want to continue the camaraderie we built over that decade.  We were touring the house and grounds of a member then lunched at the country club where they are part owners.  Certainly a day of how the other half lives!  I will start a new page of just photos!




No comments: