Friday, February 26, 2021

Fickle Finger of the Weather

 

Mi 

Here is what happened in a matter of days.  Unfortunately the aftermath of that 14 degrees coupled with 13 hours of no heat at our house, to days on end at others’ houses, has done billions of dollars in damage.  I am learning a lot about Texas energy and the idiots that run it.  Most do not live in Texas (one a resident of Germany) and half have no gas or oil background.  I am surprised Hunter Biden wasn’t on the board.  A half dozen have resigned.  Imagine that!

I can’t even remember anything about the days after the big freeze!  We have the water off into the house, faucets are open, the heat is on, the backflow for the sprinkler system had been drained and shut down before we left.  The plumber is set to meet us the morning after we arrive home,  we will stay in the motorhome until everything is squared away. Having the water off before the pipes froze would have been better but everyone was busy tending to their own affairs.  It was an acquaintance who is good friends with my friend who I asked to go to our house because she lived close.  God bless her and her husband for doing so.

I played and finally won at mahjong on Tuesday.  I had a very long dry spell.  On Wednesday Sue, Marissa and I went to the beauty school to get facials and then to lunch.  We sat outside on a beautiful patio in perfect weather.  Thursday was ladies’ breakfast and I picked up Marissa and Chris.  When turning off the feeder road to head north, my car shifted from D to 6!  I have told Ted repeatedly that the car changes gears usually from D to S (sports) or I (no idea) and today 6!  A new one!  

Chris said she heard and felt it change gears and saw my hands on the steering wheel, not near the console gear shifter.  It jerked enough to catch the curb at the edge of the rim but the car was driving ok.  Then the tire monitor came on showing my tire losing air.  I pulled into an Advanced Auto store parking lot and called Ted.  He came to give me his car while I got Coach Net on the phone and gave them all the info.  We left for the restaurant while he waited for the tire service.  We needed new tires on it so he just went to where he bought 4 new tires for the Expedition the day before and had 4 new ones put on the Jeep.

I Googled Jeep GC Summit gear issues and a whole lot of stuff came up!  It isn’t my imagination!  There is lots of info and recalls concerning this gear shifter.  So off to the Jeep dealer we will go.  This putting out fires crap is getting old!  Niles and Sue sold their coach house site across the street so everyone was over there helping clean out the storage area.  We decided to all gather for dinner on the patio at their new house.  It was a beautiful and fun evening.  

Friday was my third day in a row to get up early!  That hasn’t happened for a year.  We had 9 am appointments at the dentist in Mexico.  I requested a cleaning and exam, Ted went for a cleaning only.  I have a sensitive tooth I wanted her to look at.  From what she told me, it is a periodontal issue due mostly to nerve sensitivity from shrinking gums that comes with age and is not a tooth issue.  I haven’t been to the periodontist since we left Florida in 2001!  

Ted had his cleaning and a crown came off.  We didn’t even know he had a crown!  Since he has swallowed at least two teeth off his plate, we were glad it happened there.  They re-cemented it and no harm done. 

Ted went for his departure pedicure (as opposed to his arrival pedicure) while I finished up.  We met up and had coffee at Renee’s then headed to Jessica’s to get our last, maybe second last, trip to the drug store.  We had a few lists to fill.  By the time we started back across the bridge to Customs, it was 93 degrees!  

We chose to go to Southern Fried for dinner.  This restaurant has a very limited menu but what they have is very good.  Entrees are fish fillet, fried shrimp or chicken tenders.  They have about a half dozen sides.  No bread, no desserts!  We waited half an hour for a table, our drinks were brought and she announced they had no fish!  This is a Friday night in Lent in an 85% Catholic Hispanic area and you have no fish!?! I don’t like fried shrimp!  Shrimp cocktail and coconut shrimp are fine but not fried shrimp.  I couldn’t eat the chicken tenders so we got up and left.  Luby’s was closed so we ended up in the drive through at McDonald’s.  Whatever!  

We are down to two weeks before we leave.  It has been a different experience down here this year.  The stopping of the walls has left construction sites a mess.  The daily track meet sees up to 1000 people PER DAY coming across into the US in our sector.  The tent cities and “containers vs. cages” are back in style.  Same thing, different names.  Helicopters have been a daily occurrence.  We have had several nights of what we refer to as “the track meet.”  Our entertainment has been almost non existent.  We did see three shows but that was all.  Most entertainment was within our “bubble.”  The weather allowed lots of impromptu meetings in the street.  Everyone was so ready to communicate with others.  Ted had his shooting, I had my mahjong!  They were lifesavers for us.  Staying home probably wouldn’t have been much different.  However, we look forward to getting home and dealing with what awaits us!

No comments: