Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Election

Ted’s annual endoscopy was to be Thursday and late Wednesday they called to cancel it.  We rescheduled it but I was advised I could only drop him off and will be called to pick him up.   So we took the motorhome back down for an additional sealing around the whole window unit.  We got it put away easily and came home with not much to do since we had kept the day open.  

Friday Ted went shooting and I just wiled away the day watching Poldark on Amazon Prime.  We both have a hard time understanding their accents at times and it doesn’t have closed caption but we certainly are enjoying the series.  We watched all of The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel and Bosch.  Unfortunately, with covid, the next series of shows had to stop production so who knows when they will be finished and aired.  Amazon Prime was a birthday gift to me.  I have made use of the Free Shipping a lot already!  

Saturday Mass was said by our priest from Nigeria (I think) and impossible for us to understand.  I heard something about 50s, 60s, 2000, automobile and expressway.  After that I caught nothing, I cannot even tell you the subject matter!  I wish they would tell us in advance who was saying Mass because I would choose another time.  I don’t mean to be unkind but I see little to learn when I have absolutely no idea of what is being said.  Ted was in the same boat, he said he didn’t know what he was talking about either! And he talked about 10-15 minutes longer than usual.  That made us late getting to the restaurant.

I told Terry and Carol that was an hour plus out of my life I will never get back.  They had turned it off the TV where they were watching at home.  We had a nice dinner, talked about the chaos all these ballots have caused.  There is so much swirling about that I have not turned my TV on regular programming since Monday before the election.  You win some, you lose some but I have to admit all the inconsistencies give me pause as to can we ever trust our elections again.  We have had a peaceful transfer of power for over two centuries and I hate to think we have lost that.

Ted went shooting Sunday and I puttered around the house.  CeCe finally got to have her birthday celebration with both Grandma Duda and Great Grandma Duda who was treated for cancer all last year.  She celebrated her 91st birthday this week too.  Everyone had been careful but I guess Mrs. Duda felt comfortable being together outside. 


Nancy stopped by Monday to give me the run down on her upcoming minor surgery. Now a Covid test is something else to add to everything you have to do before surgery.  She will miss our first neighborhood birthday lunch since March!  There are six going and just as many, not.  Two more would be attending except for previous commitments.  That will be Wednesday, Veteran's Day!  We visited Flander’s Field in Belgium back in 2012 and it made a tremendous impression on me.  

I played cards again on Tuesday, a different game, and won again!  I am three for three!  After such a long stretch of losing, it feels good to reinforce that the cards you get play as big a part as your skill level.  I need to brace for the downturn I know will happen.  

Wednesday six neighbors met for lunch at Citizens Grille.  It was a long stretch for all of us to have not gotten together!  Two have husbands with cancer, one bladder, the other kidney.  An absent one had removed her husband from memory care when the nursing home/covid situation got so bad.  He is still at home, deteriorating and has been a terrible burden for her, yet she continues on by hiring day and night nurses to help.  Once covid is under control, he will be returning to a different hospital.  The rest of us are doing okay and agreed to meet in December for a Christmas lunch.  

Our Israeli neighbors returned after being stuck in Israel since February, then went to their son’s in California, and returned last week.  They invited us over Thursday evening.  We always have so much to talk about that time passes very quickly.  Their house sitter is moving from the area and they asked us to check on their house when convenient.  We have done this intermittently so of course we said yes.  

Friday Ted went to the Chronicle for work and I went to the nail salon.  On my way I stopped at a restaurant and booked their private room for our neighborhood Christmas lunch.  Next week Ted’s endoscopy, my returning a bag to the Coach store and we both getting haircuts will fill our week along with packing.  

Still no answer on the election.  I think they said the Gore incident lasted 37 days.  We lived in Florida at the time and all I remember are the “hanging chads.”  




No comments: