Sunday, January 30, 2022

Nothing to Report

I have not had any issues nor anything to report this past week.  Kara has done a great job of milking my drain, measuring results, taking my temperature, monitoring my meds, cooking, doing laundry and keeping up with her job remotely.  I don’t know how anyone alone would be able to do this for themselves.  I guess rehab hospitals come into play at that point.  Living close to your children is a really serious choice as you age.  We are fortunate that we can fly them here and their jobs are such that they can be gone or do it remotely.

I have not been in pain, more discomfort, and mostly from the drain.  It is a PIA!  It just gets in the way!  I have a robe with pockets inside to hold the bulb but sitting and sleeping on it can be disruptive every time you move!

We are getting offers from friends to bring food which is most welcome, especially by Kara.  My niece in Cincinnati even sent her cc number and told me to have meals delivered all week!  Such a nice offer but one meal at her expense will be enough.  Yesterday Kara’s friend brought brisket, potatoes and salad she had made.  It was better than any BBQ restaurant!  It warms my heart to have people be so thoughtful.

My drain output is below 30 ml two days in a row so hopefully tomorrow we can go to MDA to have the drain removed.  That will make me feel much better!

I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon this week and the oncology surgeon the next.  No word on the med oncologist who will give me the lowdown on how we proceed.  She said her outlined protocol would not change so I think I know where this is headed.  Chemo, radiation, Herceptin, Arimidex.  Five years!!  Breast cancers are not alike.  Each one has specifics to consider.  Unfortunately I don’t have the surgery + radiation + Arimidex and done.  It is some comfort to know there were no positives in my gene testing though my mother died of breast cancer but I was a fool and didn’t learn more about hers.  I do know when it returned they gave her chemo, radiation and Herceptin but the horse was already out of the barn but this was a 1996 diagnosis, 2000 death.  Much has been learned in those 25 years.  Dr. Oke said their 9 year study of my outlined protocol has a 96% success rate.  I am standing before God with those odds!  

I cannot go to church so Ted went to ours and made arrangements for him to bring a consecrated host home to me and Kara.  We watched Mass on line and saw him walk to the altar to receive the pyx the host is in.  He came home, said the prayers which we answered appropriately, and gave us Communion.  It is the best I can do for now.  



No comments: