Friday, January 14, 2022

A Week at Home

Wednesday morning I went with Ted to the skeet club to drop him off.  We passed Mimi walking to the mailbox and she indicated I should come by for a visit while Ted was shooting.  I did just that and we had a great visit.  Ted texted me later to come get him and we drove to Golden Chick for a late lunch/early dinner.  Later we went to Bentsen Grove to see a comedy music show.  It was fun and a nice finish to our short stint in the Rio Grande Valley.  We miss seeing the shows.

Thursday morning, we had breakfast at the hotel and left just about 9:00.  We were home by 3:00.  We only had one suitcase so unpacking was easy.  I took the two lasagnas we bought for $5 each at Maggiano’s out of the freezer and had them for dinner.  

I met my friend Irene at the wig salon Friday and we spent 1.5 hours trying on all kinds of wigs until we agreed upon the most naturally looking one for me.  Of course my hair is so thin that I actually look better in it.  I also bought a turban for quick trips to the store or if someone stops by.  We went to lunch at Le Madeleine before going our separate ways.

In the evening we attended a Healing Mass and Blessing of the Sick.  It wasn’t at our church but the other Catholic parish in our township.  It took two hours because each person is blessed with holy chrism and prayed over.  I felt I really needed to attend.  You can’t ask for prayers from others if you fail to avail yourself of what is specifically planned for ill people.  

Saturday was business as usual.  I did laundry and we attended our normal 5 pm Mass.  We went to Willie’s to eat and stopped at Walmart for a few things since we were right there.  Sunday we did nothing special at all.  Ted made Skyline chili for dinner.  As long as I don’t have to make it, I will gladly eat what is put in front of me. 

We pretty much sat Monday and Tuesday out waiting for 3 days of appointments the rest of the week.  Wednesday we met with both surgeons and decided on a lumpectomy to remove the cancer and nothing more because of my previous DVT, PE and continued use of Eliquis. It is just too risky for cosmetic purposes.  The incision will remove an approximate 1 inch square that will be corrected by the plastic surgeon  Lord knows he has enough to work with.

Thursday was our first trip to MDA downtown.  It took an hour and 20 minutes in early morning traffic and only 45 minutes to come home.  I am not sure this couldn’t have been done out here but I guess they have their reasons.  I had a PA go over all my answers on everything they have given me to fill out.  I took every bottle of pills I take, as I was directed - calcium, vitamin D, coQ10, Eliquis, simvistatin and Tylenol PM.  I had contacted my cardiologist who sent a 9 month old EKG and a clearance letter.  I whipped out her card when he asked about her phone number to request my recent tests in September.  I was prepared!  He ordered an EKG because they want one less than 6 months old.  So we went to the lab, signed in electronically and within 10 minutes I was in and out and we headed home.  

Today I have an appt for placement of my “scout.”  It is a tiny GPS to direct the doctor to the exact spot and it too will then be removed.  That will be followed by a mammogram.  

The only thing left is a Covid test next Friday and surgery should be a go!  My prayer now is no cancer in the sentinel node(s) that will be removed.  I have a post op appointment they already made for 2/6 and I suppose chemo will start shortly thereafter.  That’s the part I really dread. Keep the thoughts and prayers coming. They are so appreciated.  




No comments: