Saturday, October 30, 2021

Still on Standby

First, my apologies to John and Sherida for completely passing up writing about our last Friday trip to Deep Roots Winery.  What a fun time we had catching up!  Beautiful venue, very good food truck.  I am not much of a wine drinker but I did ok with it.  The acoustics inside the barn are not good.  If we go again, I would sit out on the porch or around the fire.

Ted left on Sunday bright and early.  He was picking up Tal to drive to San Antonio, Tom would join them later on in the week.  He has had a great time with his best buddy here in Texas.  A lot of the Ohio gang came and they all met up too.  The one thing we always do when the girls are along is go to the Cowboy Bar in Bandera for a cook your own steak night and a dance band.  Just loads of fun!  But alas, no ladies, no two stepping this time.

I asked Ted if he saw my friend that bit me last year.  He said no but shocked the group with my story!  He will be home Thursday afternoon.  

Monday afternoon I played cards and it wasn’t one hand held me back, it was three.  Since a round is six games, I spiraled downward half the time!  I had really lousy cards and no jokers!  But it is always a pleasure to play with these ladies and this week was no exception.

Forum produced our Vintage Clothes fashion show on Tuesday for a new women’s group being formed at the country club.  They chose a teal suede cowgirl outfit for me, along with purple and beige ones for two other ladies.  The three of us represented Houston’s rodeo.  There are some cute and some gorgeous outfits and the show is always well received.  Priscilla took my costume back to the office so that saved me a trip on Wednesday.  



That morning I had my 6 month regular check up to have my prescriptions refilled.  We have been seeing Dr. C since the day we moved here in August of 2001.  I had an awful cold and with so much I had to do with our furniture arriving that I went to the Village Center in our strip mall.  Dr. C. took care of me and when he opened his own office, we followed him.  

Last April he brought up my weight gain of 2 lbs.!  I had just returned from Mission TX after 3 months and really didn’t know exactly what that number was.  Then this summer I came home and knew I really needed to get serious.  He was delighted I had lost but he didn’t say how much, best I can figure based on my scale I have 5-6 lbs. back to my WW goal that I reached in August of 2018.  I guess that’s not bad after 3.5 years.  He called the next day and said not one number on any of my blood tests was off.  I am good for six more months.  

Thursday I was talking to my Indiana relatives a lot.  My sister who has Alzheimer’s and her husband were moved to Assisted Living.  However, he was put in Hospice the next day.  I am not sure just what is going to happen to her living arrangement.  I think she will probably need Memory Care and not an apartment.  Everything has spiraled down so quickly that they are sort of in shock.  I think next week they will get a better handle on what happens next and then what to expect after that.  It such a sad time for us all.  

I talked to my sister in law in Connecticut and she rallied from her fall but they had sent her from her independent living to the hospital to a rehab place and now they have to assess where will be best when she is ready to be moved again.  All of this is dreadfully hard on everyone.

My oldest daughter has been coordinating her mother in law’s cancer treatments and she is now in an assisted living facility.  I have not heard how she is faring with her third round of chemo.

I will tell you this … the scariest thing is to look at your phone in the morning.

We went to church and out to eat.  Ohio State beat Penn State so all was good in Mudville!   Ted is still in second place in his class at Nationals but there have been shooters since he left on Thursday and continued through Friday, Saturday and will finish up Sunday.  We hope his score holds!   




No comments: