Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Calm Week Approaching

As predicted, things were pretty calm.  Friday it rained all day and Ted was working a shooting competition (and getting really wet) so I read my books.  Saturday we went to church and Mia’s Restaurant for dinner.  Sunday and Monday were more of the same calm.  But Ted did buy me two petite knock out roses and planted them for me for Mother’s Day,  

My girls were all together in FL and met up Friday at Disney Springs to eat at a restaurant/piano bar where they have befriended one of the piano players.  Kara was on the west coast for a business meeting then moved to Saratoga Springs at Disney.  Saturday they had dinner at Kristin’s and flew home that evening.  Kelly and Pat celebrated their 33rd wedding anniversary.  Sunday they moved to Tampa and Larry and Kristin went too. 






Tuesday I went to work at the Thrift shop.  It was so enjoyable to chit chat as we worked.  I have missed my volunteer work with CWJF.  Three young Mormon girls, here on a mission trip from Tonga and Utah, came in as part of their mission work.  We had a great conversation and took a photo for our newsletter.  Wednesday was to be my one free day and it turned out to be followed by three more!  

Ted received a call a few hours before we were to leave for Brenham on Thursday to have lunch with Gus and Melissa who were visiting in Austin. The railcars he was waiting for were to arrive.  He went downtown immediately and they NEVER came.  Friday was our community theater night but Gerre forgot and made other plans.  So we all changed our tickets to Saturday.

We saw Cabaret and it was so powerful.  The cabaret scene where the Nazis are exposed is a big song and dance routine where applause would ordinarily be plentiful.  When the music stopped, they all gave the Nazi salute and the theater went dead silent.  You could have heard a pin drop.  Everyone understands now what transpired and it was the biggest assault on mankind ever recorded.  The ending was equally as thought provoking.  Four huge  6 x 8 mirrors were rolled out so we all could see ourselves in the audience.  There was a break between mirror 2 and 3.  One by one the Jewish people who had been identified in the play pulled off their break away clothes exposing concentration camp clothing and walked between the mirrors and “disappeared.”  Then others who had not been identified (we had no idea) did the same thing.  And then the curtain came down with all of us looking in the mirrors at those seated with us.  We were the world watching back in the 40s who sat there and did nothing!  I have never experienced anything like this.  I remember seeing Cabaret both as a stage play and a movie without feeling so disturbed.  But of course then I never thought we would ever be in danger of such loss of personal rights as we are experiencing now.



Sunday we attended Cirque Italia.  We chose a 4:30 performance assuming it would be the least crowded, and eating about 7 would be available.  The tents were pretty well filled and we waited only 10 minutes to eat afterwards at Joe’s Italian.  It was a circus without animals but plenty of acrobats, jugglers, clowns, arrows (not knife) throwing, etc.  The balance and strength of the entertainers was mind boggling.  The best guy was the acrobat who balanced on round things with 7 skateboards on top with a board across it all.  He was also way up high!  Our dinner was delicious as always.  All in all, a nice afternoon.  




Monday, Ted had to be at the newspaper to check the elusive rail cars.  We were up at 5:30!  We had a carpet repair guy coming to cut out a stain from my dining room carpet and then I played Canasta in the afternoon.  I never won a round and sat at the same table all day because only winners move!  But I got my $1 back for having low score.  There were no big mistakes, my partners and I just didn’t get the cards!


Mary had to leave right away and Michele took the photo!

Tuesday I was in charge of Nancy’s Shanghai group while she and Jack were out of town.  We play at a restaurant, stopping midway for dinner, then finishing up.  I had one bad hand that kept me from winning! But everyone said I did an excellent job in Nancy’s absence so that was being a winner in my book.

I had to have a follow up urine test and blood draw for a thyroid panel on Wednesday morning.  Ted had used a special grout cleaner and brush on our two bathroom floors and when I returned I stripped the bed and pillows all the way down.  I put new pillow covers on the pillow forms and laundered everything along with the 4 rugs from our bathroom.  A little spring cleaning!

Tomorrow is the CWJF Installation Luncheon.  Marleah is picking me up!  



 



 

No comments: