Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas 2020 Was Different

We had no special plans for Christmas Eve except to decipher about church.  Ted stopped by and saw Fr. Roy who told him there was a communion service at midnight and a noon Mass Christmas Day.  Neither one suited us.  Then we received notice from our home church that one of the priests who lives in the rectory tested positive and now all are quarantined!  There were 10 Masses scheduled and they found priests to cover them all.  So we decided to live stream their afternoon Mass like we did at home last spring.  But it wouldn’t work!  I quickly Googled Catholic Mass 12/24/2020 and found one in Cincinnati, our hometown, so we switched to it.  But we never did identify the church.  It was sparsely attended but a nice service.  

Ted asked where I wanted to go eat and I chose to get a pizza from our favorite Pizzeria down here.  I didn’t want to get dressed up.  They send me emails all the time with specials so we ordered our pizza but ended up with it, garlic knots and an 8 inch brownie because of their specials.  It was all excellent!

Our neighbors from next door came over and ended up spending the evening.  I wish we had had more room to ask them to Christmas dinner but I am equipped for only six in the coach house and we also are trying to limit contact numbers.  But we certainly enjoyed the evening.

We were able to social distance outside for appetizers using our new chairs from Kristin and Kara.

I spent a good bit of the morning preparing for dinner.  I set the table as nicely as I could with what we have in the MH but I did bring a Christmas tablecloth and napkins.  And we used real plates and silverware but I didn’t have 6 matching glasses so we went with red solo cups.  


We had ham, sweet potatoes, broccoli, Waldorf salad, rolls and pecan pie.  While I was getting dressed, Peg stopped by with fudge.  I am going to have to walk back to Houston!  Everyone was a member of the clean plate club so I guess they liked it.  Kathy and Bob across the street will not socialize yet so I sent two plates over for them.  They were very appreciative and pronounced the meal excellent.  After the four of them left, Patty and Steve brought over some homemade monkey bread (!) and I may have to walk beyond Houston!

Kelly Face Timed us so CeCe can see Lolly and Pop who I imagine she thinks are tiny people who live in the black box!  She waved to us though.  Kara sent photos of their Christmas.  Larry and Kristin are in the Keys but no photos came yesterday!  



So Christmas 2020 is a wrap.  I am sure it was equally different for most people.  We made the best of it and I hope everyone else was able to celebrate in spite of the absence of loved ones, smaller church services but still plenty of calories!  

Now on to New Years!  


No comments: