Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Happy New Year a Little Late

I had been sick 2 or 3 nights at Kara’s.  I dreaded the flight home because of my “delicate” condition.  But I was ok and that night, I was up again.  Next day I felt good, took the Christmas stuff down and did 3 loads of laundry.  Tuesday night I was sick and Wednesday morning I put in for a telemedicine call with Dr. C.  The lady told me 1:15.  It wasn’t 10 minutes when he called back.  He has been my doctor for 20+ years and knows if I am calling, I really am sick.

I told him about how this has been going on most of December but the GI doctor to this day has not called me back.  He spent a decent amount of time with me and finally said I needed to give my GI tract a rest so bread and Gatorade for 5 days.  He also settled on an antibiotic that works ok with my other meds and my age! He reminded me I am getting old!  I started the med as soon as it was filled, lived on bagels and club crackers for 5 days and have not been sick since. He does want me to follow up with the other GI doctor whenever I can get an appointment.  He called me back on Monday to check up on me!  

We had dinner and played cards New Year’s Eve at our next door neighbors.  I told her if I left in a hurry to just carry on without me but all was good.  It was not a week filled with plans and that turned out to be a good thing.

I did some tax prep work, found out cashing Savings Bonds has to be done with forms from online and sending them to Dept. of Treasury yourself.  They started maturing in December but when I learned the work associated with cashing them, I took the whole lot of them, 85 in my name, 4 in Ted’s, got our signatures verified at the bank and they are ready to go but I want “signature on delivery, return receipt requested” or registered mail, whichever the USPS advises.  

We have had 4 deaths just since Christmas.  My deceased sister Karen’s  two daughters both lost their Mother in Laws within days of each other.  Carolyn and Jackie were both wonderful Christian ladies.  Jackie had 12 children, 35 grandchildren and 56 great grandchildren.   My elementary and high school friend’s daughter who suffered with cancer for 20 years died on New Year’s Eve and one of Ted’s shooting buddies lost his fight with prostate cancer.  Not a great start to the New Year.  Our neighbor who did not make the Christmas lunch and cookie exchange is still hospitalized. 

Monday was to be card club here so I went to HEB and got things for my friends to snack on but one by one everyone but two others begged off.  So many are sick!  So now I have a lot of fun stuff to eat when I am ready.  I don’t know the protocol but I consider my prep up to 3 hours before cancellation, is effective as having taken my turn!

Paralyzed Vets are coming Tuesday and I have a box and 4 bags for them.  I redid my pantry and made a grocery list.  Then I washed the FR outside windows.  So no major accomplishments but several little ones.  Tomorrow is a Dr. appt. again and the post office.  



No comments: