Thursday, December 22, 2022

Closing In, Moving On

Things are ready with company arriving tomorrow.  Presents wrapped or sent where they need to be, cookies baked and given to recipients, cards under control, groceries purchased, decorations up, table set.  It is a less than formal presentation due to preparing my Mikasa Christmas dishes to be taken back to Michigan for Kelly.  I have white Fitz & Floyd that with red or green chargers, place mats and napkins will suffice for any company I would have.  We just don’t entertain much anymore.  


I played Canasta on Monday and once again did not move from my seat, but … I won my dollar back being last.  You keep changing partners so there is enough blame to go around!  

Tuesday we went to the lawyer’s to sign our new legal documents we had redone with a few new ones added.  Our 56, 53 and 49 year olds no longer need a guardian!  

I had two doctor appointments on Wednesday, first the GYN, second the oncology surgeon.  Everything is fine and he ordered some scar tape to use on the two spots where my drains had been.  They get rubbed and bother me.  He was delighted to wave my mammogram results in front of me even though I knew the great results immediately after the test.  I am now under the care of the medical oncologist only.  I see her in April.

I invited my friend Irene and her husband John to dinner for her birthday but they said they didn’t want me to go to that trouble and we would go out.  I said it was no trouble but they insisted.  Maybe it’s a comment on my cooking!  This from a guy who loves James Coney Island!  He and Ted shared Guinness while we talked before going to the restaurant.  

We did our big grocery shopping on Friday.  I am about out of refrigerator and freezer space.  H‑E‑B has what they call a Meal Deal each week.  If you buy the main course (protein) you get 5 free items.  It was the hams this week which I was buying anyway.  So I received mac & cheese, fresh green beans, napkins, fresh sweet potatoes and a half gallon of ice cream!  Nancy gave us a $5 coupon off a $75 basket which was easy to do!  In fact, I could have used two coupons.  

We went to church, Communion to our friends, and to Whataburger for a quick meal on Saturday.  I was ready to just get home and put my feet up!  

With so much done and no social event until Wednesday, our Sunday and Monday were “niggles” days - A bunch of little things that take five minutes if you only take time to do them.  Ted picked up our new legal documents and went to Office Max to have two copies made.  There was some mix up on using the lawyer’s system to print them at home.  Office Max was easier and they did an excellent job keeping the originals on top of the two copies in a big stack.  The originals were placed where they belong and he retrieved our passports at the same time.  We need them to return to the US from Mexico.  We kept one copy here and sent one to Kara.

I emptied the hamper since I will have enough with linens when the company leaves.  Four bags went out for paralyzed vets and my dish packing containers were brought out of the closet.  Hopefully we can get the service for 8 packed in them securely for their trip back to Michigan.


My last social event was the Newcomers December luncheon and fashion show.  Once again I got to see lots of old faces and met a few new ones.  Chico’s provided the clothes for the show but I shop there all the time and pretty much knew what to expect.  It was a salad and fresh fruit buffet with rolls and both tuna and chicken salad to make small sandwiches.  Good cheesecake for dessert.  No drink was offered other than water unless you wanted to go to the bar and buy something.  I found that a bit strange for a $35 lunch!  Whatever!

Kristin is in Michigan having changed her ticket from today to yesterday to avoid the cancelled flights.  Kelly and family have made it to Texarkana and will be in tomorrow.  



  


No comments: