Friday, February 11, 2022

The Aftermath

Monday Kara and I went to Canopy, a cancer patient community for all sorts of things. I wanted to ask about when I could be fitted for a prosthesis. What an amazing place! I need to wait 6-8 weeks for a fitting but in the meantime they gave me a lovely bag to hold a shirt with inside pockets for drains to wear home from the hospital, a heart shaped pillow to hold against my incision for comfort, socks, lip balm, knitted knockers! These are hand knitted breast forms soft enough to wear until you get your custom prosthesis. My surgery was scheduled for 3 pm Tuesday with an arrival time of 1 pm. We left in time to check into a hotel suite so Kara could get set up to work while Ted went with me to the hospital. We got checked in and then were told there was an hour and a half delay. Turns out they slipped someone in front of us and we lost are operating room. It was 6 pm before my surgery got started. I don’t recall too much after that. But at 6:30 am Wednesday morning the PA came in and checked me out and proclaimed me fit for discharge! I had them call the hotel and Ted ran Kara over to help me dress and get discharge instructions while he packed up the things at the hotel. True to form it took until 10:30 to get everything in place to leave. We called Ted who drove right over and they were wheeling me out just as he pulled up. I was glad to be home, drains, incision and all.

No comments: