Saturday, December 11, 2021

Quiet Has Turned to Chaos

I had my magnification mammogram and the radiologist suggested a biopsy OR just come back in 6 months for another mammogram. I opted for the biopsy. I had moved this second mammogram back a week because of our trip to OH and MI and now it went back another week for a biopsy. 

As we started to leave the next week they called and said they had no power so they moved it back another week!  I was getting frustrated. My friend is a friend of  head of radiology at MDAnderson who has a satellite 2 miles from us and it is just two years old I think. Immediately the  breast cancer navigator called me and asked how she could help. She had me at MDA the next morning at 6:30 am. 

I was given another magnified mammogram and a biopsy. Unfortunately, results were positive for cancer.  Such a whirlwind of activity started.  They use a system MyChart and everyone, including me, can see everything done on my case. Every conversation, every follow up, every test, every appt., etc.

I saw the surgeon for 1.5 hours!  I met with the oncologist to discuss meds afterwards, again 1.5 hours. I had an ultrasound that found no lymph node involvement nor in the other breast. Great news!  

Genetic testing was discussed. If I have it we may make a different choice in surgeries. But I want the info for my 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters and our great granddaughter.

This Tuesday I will speak with the geneticist, the tumor board will meet to discuss my case and my planned 1/25 surgery will be finalized. MyChart shows I will meet with the plastic surgeon two weeks before. 

So now we wait and pray. I am allowed to fly to Michigan for Christmas.  Three months in the valley is out this year due to weekly chemo for 3 months followed by an every 3 week infusion of  Herceptin for a year followed by a pill every day for 5 years!  

So our plans to stay busy are a 2 night stay in the motorhome at College Station just to run it and put a load on the generator.  We will visit our friends visiting in Austin and some who live in Chappell Hill. Christmas week in Michigan, a quick trip to Mission where we would normally be going for 3 months and then all the appts start again prior to surgery. 

I thought 2020 and 2021 were sh*t shows!  Apparently I am going for a Trifecta!  



No comments: