Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Quiet Week

I have finished the weaving on my table runner and will now turn it over to my teacher to decide how the sides and ends should be finished.  I haven't a clue what to do on the ends but we both sort of agreed on fringe on the sides.  She has her sewing machine here and I don't so we need to work together.

I am doing really well in mahjong.  Even if I don't win because my tiles just don't come available I am pleased that I have played a specific hand without being lost.  Now I need to work on shifting gears when a hand goes dead.  That's a biggee!

Monday was a rainy day so we invited Niles, Sue, Mark and Dortha to Cowboy Chicken for dinner since it had just opened nearby.  We had three coupons for B1G1F so we all climbed into my Expedition for the ride over and had an enjoyable meal.  The food is great and the waitstaff couldn't have been more attentive.  

Tuesday was a bit busy.  I had offered to take dinner to one of our neighbors who has broken her leg.  Also, Niles had requested some more apple crisp like I had sent down to him awhile back.  I put the apple crisp on in my Instant Pot on the Slow Cook setting and told Ted what to do when it finished.  I headed out to mahjong.  I came back to a nice aroma and divided the contents into thirds - Ginger, Niles and Ted.  I washed the liner, tossed in a bit of oil and sautéed my beef cubes.  Then I added the rest of the things needed for beef stew and closed the pot.  In the 35 minutes that it cooked I put a Kaiser roll and butter in a plastic bag, a salad in a container, the apple crisp in a container and eventually a container of stew. 

Ted drove me to the next street so I could hold all the food but there was a street party so we turned around and came in the other way.  When we arrived everyone was telling us Ginger was at the party in her wheelchair!  I just put it all inside on her counter because I didn't want to interrupt her chance to be out in the nice weather among friends.  I hope she enjoyed her dinner.

On Wednesday Ted helped  Mark with his shotgun shooting and when he returned we drove to the flea market looking for an oversized card holder for Irene.  We struck out so Ted stopped at a construction site, picked up an adequate piece of scrap wood and plans to take it to the wood shop to see if anyone is interested in making one from the photo she sent me.

When we came home I checked on plane tickets and chose our flights to Hawaii.  There is a nonstop coming and going from Houston and that interested us so we bought them and upgraded to Plus which allowed us to choose exit row seats in the front of the plane.  I still need to get an interisland flight back and forth to Kona.  

I thought we were going to take flight Thursday morning because the wind was gusting big time.  I didn't think Ted would shoot but that group didn't let a little wind keep them away.  While they were gone Sue, Dortha and I visited Hobby Lobby, Target and then Olive Garden for lunch.  I finally caught Beverly at home and we spent a long time together finishing the edges of my Christmas table runner.


On my way home I cut through Don and Trudy's place and she was cooking a big pan of something outside.  I jokingly asked "What's for dinner?"  She said "stir fry" and "why don't you and Ted come."  I demurred but Don tried to call Ted and got Voicemail.  I had no idea where Ted was.  Don told me to find him and come back for dinner.  I found Ted next door chatting with Ed and Friends.  He called Don and accepted their kind invitation.  We had a lovely serendipity dinner - no plans, things just fell into place and it was after 10 when we got home.  They are leaving next week and even though Don and Ted shoot twice a week, my seeing Trudy had been limited to the fashion show.  She kept insisting she owed us dinner because we had them to the RV when we were all in Santa Fe!  

Jay stopped by Friday and we had a nice chat out back around the table.  They are leaving next week.  I heard 60 rigs left next door on 3/1.  The last party this month will be what is called The Tail Light Party in honor of all the tail lights of everyone heading out.  

Ted left to talk to Danny about a javelina hunt and I went to the Clubhouse to play mahjong.  I won two games!  When I came home I talked to Kristin and my sister Karen on the phone before Ted went for a cheese pizza for dinner.  Love those easy Friday dinners in Lent.  

Ted shot in a skeet tournament Saturday and tied with two others for first place breaking 97 out of 100.  However, he didn't want to hang around for a shoot off (with no money involved!) and came home.  He stopped at the wood shop before coming home and had slits cut in to the board to see if it will work to hold cards.  Irene will be the judge.



We went to church at 4:00, then to Outback for dinner and finished the evening enjoying the entertainment of Wade Landry and his wife Theresa.  Another nice day in the valley.

No comments: