Monday, September 10, 2012

Just Settling In

I did a good job of keeping our calendar empty for two reasons. First, I didn't want to be overwhelmed with lots to do right off the bat when we got back and second I didn't know exactly when we would get home.

So the past week has been quiet. We did some shopping for Ted at the mall and went to the new Mexican restaurant in the strip mall and it was just OK. I still like El Capparro better. And we played Canasta Saturday night. We didn't win but it was great seeing everyone.

On Sunday, Ted shot in the Best of Texas Tournament and I just took it easy. I made spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage for us for dinner. Of course there is lots of football on TV which makes Ted happy and increases the number of books I read!

Tomorrow will be my first hours worked for Junior Forum this year. I am working at a senior luncheon. It is being catered so I don't have to cook anything but I do have to take a bingo prize or two. I was on the lookout all summer and have a few things stashed away. I have also taken Tide, coffee and greeting cards with a book of stamps and they go very quickly.

I have a shopping date with Jody on Wednesday and our neighborhood ladies' luncheon is Thursday. So I am easing back into my normally hectic schedule. But with our Rome trip and trans Atlantic cruise just 7 weeks away I have to "make hay while the sun shines."

I have the family tree done as far as I need to go for those attending the reunion next summer. A tree of my family will never be complete because there are always branches of families that aren't direct descendants but belong on the tree. Since the one I have done prints out to 18 pages I chose not to pursue siblings of our grandparents and great grandparents.

I have documented births, marriages and deaths up to my maternal grandmother and her two brothers. Descendants of these three comprise our family reunion. In 2011 we had 133 participants in Pigeon Forge, TN. We will gather in Bardstown, KY in 2013.

I am missing a marriage certificate for my great grandparents and a birth certificate for my grandmother. I have written to the Cincinnati Chancery Archives of the Catholic Church because they should have documentation of both.

We were traveling when Ted signed up for Medicare and his birth certificate did not have a seal. It was easier (and free) for me to call his cousin at Holy Family Church and get his baptismal certificate than it was to get a birth certificate. Social Security will accept this in lieu of a birth certificate.

Well it is Monday and according to Burt Reynolds:

"Marriage is about the most expensive way for an average man to get laundry done."

I better get started!





No comments: